remove win 10 from ssd

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 7, 2019
I have HP stream 14 with 32gig ssd windows 10 installed from factory. There is not enough space to do updates ,or anything else for that matter. I wish to install linux as only OS, but not enough space available. How can I remove Win10 completely???

Lutfij

Titan
If there's no space to perform updates, you may want to create a bootable USB installer for Windows 10 using Windows Media Creation Tools and then proceed to format and reinstall the OS from scratch. Yes it's a hassle but apart from no storage upgrades and the doubt that Linux will be optimally working on your unit, the option to sticking to Windows 10 is the best as that is the OS that came shipped with the unit.

Jan 7, 2019

Thanks for quick response. I have bootable linux on usb, it works fine. But not enough space to install it. This machine is just a toy and I would rather not have Windows on it.

Sylvvester

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2010
During linux installation when you get to partitioning / disk setup, you can delete all existing partitions and then use whole disk to install new os. Since you are going to reinstall anyway you can give linux a try. Just be prepared for the issues that may pop up, like these:
https://www.google.com/search?q=hp+stream+14+BCM43142+linux+problem

If linux doesn't work then you can just reinstall windows 10 using whole disk.

Solution
Jan 7, 2019

Not able to get to the point of deleting partitions. Message indicates I need 10 gig space and I only have 6 available.

Sylvvester

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2010
I don't know what you are trying to install but that's not how it usually works. After booting from usb and some basic setup like language, keyboard, network, it should take you to disk partitioning unless you have chosen to use existing partitions to install. If there is no option to get to disk partitioning then maybe there is a problem with your bootable linux usb. Try different one. Also bootable linux usbs usually allow you to try live system without installing and they also include tools that can be used for partitioning, so you can try that too.

Jan 7, 2019
Thanks to all for your help and suggestions. On my third attempt to install Mint I finally got dialogue allowing me to delete partitions. Everything is working smoothly. BTW this laptop is virtually worthless with Win10 .

Status
Not open for further replies.