<Removed> CPU Upgrade

Jan 27, 2019
i5 760 or upgrade to i7 875k

Hello I am doing some upgrades to an older system I had laying around so my Son doesn't have to haul his PC when he comes over. I just wanted opinions on the CPU. We mostly will be gaming, mainly WoW with heavy addons, (sometimes 2 instances of wow going at once) with web browsing and music player all at the same time. Occasional music editing.

Asus P7P55D-E Deluxe
i5 760
EVGA 280 liquid cooler
16gb ddr3 1600 Ram
EVGA 1050ti SC 4gb

I know they both OC roughly the same. But the 875k is unlocked which is supposedly better for OC'ing? So is it different ways the 2 processors are OC'd? What are the benefits of an unlocked CPU? Is it more stable, or less heat, or what? And since they both can OC, why wouldn't I get an i7 880 over the 875k? If minimal gains, I'll happily stick with the current i5 760, but I don't mind dropping $75-$100 for an i7 to see a noticable increase.

Any assistance will be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

I bet upgrading to an i7 over an i5 will help more than if it's an unlocked processor or not. I don't know if it will matter much, seeing as these are literally first generation i5/i7 CPUs, though that makes them really cheap.

I think you've got to think about how much you're willing to spend just so he doesn't have to take his PC with him.

Side question though, why the heck put an EVGA CLC280 in that rig..? Quite a bit of overkill there.

Jan 27, 2019
If it was straight gaming the OC'd i5 would be fine from what I've read, but the i7 upgrade I think will definitely help with the multiple apps running.

The water cooler was given to me by a friend when I told him I was going to be OC'ing. He did a hard line setup on his rig and had this laying around.

With the exception of the possible CPU upgrade, this PC is mostly hand-me-downs. So dropping $75-$100 isn't a concern.

I wouldn't be surprised if there's 100 dollar upgrade kits available on craigslist or other website (people selling their old motherboard/CPU/RAM combo) that would increase everything more than just a CPU upgrade.

Dropping that amount of money just so he doesn't have to take his PC? I'd say either leave it or do a bigger upgrade like the kit I mentioned above.

Jan 27, 2019
ok , I appreciate the input, but I wasn't asking about least expensive way to upgrade. I just sold a mobo/cpu/ram combo myself when I upgraded my main rig.

But I would still like some answers to my original questions about unlocked vs locked, what's the diffference in OC'ing the two different types. etc...