Removed External HD Without Using "Safe To Remove"

Status
Not open for further replies.

jetjimmy

Distinguished
Nov 14, 2009
I have a new Notebook running Windows 7 Pro x64. I had my external HD hooked into the USB, and, I took it out of the USB port but forgot to click on the "Eject Button" in the System Tray to get the "It is now safe to remove" popup. I only did this one time. Could it have done any harm to my Notebook? :)

Solution
G
The reason for safely removing drives is the write behind system used by Windows (which as I understands it delays writing to the disk until there's a pause in the action). Unless you removed the drive while or immediately after saving or copying a document there's little chance of problems.

However some people report issues with drive letters getting confused and external drives not mounting -- possibly in connection with the safe removal issue.
G

The reason for safely removing drives is the write behind system used by Windows (which as I understands it delays writing to the disk until there's a pause in the action). Unless you removed the drive while or immediately after saving or copying a document there's little chance of problems.

However some people report issues with drive letters getting confused and external drives not mounting -- possibly in connection with the safe removal issue.

Solution

jetjimmy

Distinguished
Nov 14, 2009

Thanks.....Everything seems to be working ok. The drive was not doing anything when I removed it, so I guess that nothing happened.

Status
Not open for further replies.