Question Removed gtx980 from msi z390 pro carbon, mobo now dead.

Dec 29, 2019
I shut down my system to remove the gtx980 extreme oc windforce from gigabyte from my msi z390 gaming pro carbon (didnt disconnect power cord from psu, did remove pcie power from gpu before removing gpu) which i should have but ive done this a hundred times over 20 years never had a problem) and then my system would not power on. No lights no fans no nothing... after i removed button battery and shorted contacts and tried again i was able to get the board and fans to light up for a fraction of a second 2 seperate times on 2 seperate power on attempts but then nothing since. Psu(corsair hx850) works fine gpu works fine both tested on another build, tried each stick of ram alone, tried with and without gpu in msi board and in all pci slots... im at a loss. Did i fry my mobo somehow? Any ideas? Is this a common thing with any of these parts?

Dec 28, 2019
I shut down my system to remove the gtx980 extreme oc windforce from gigabyte from my msi z390 gaming pro carbon (didnt disconnect power cord from psu, did remove pcie power from gpu before removing gpu) which i should have but ive done this a hundred times over 20 years never had a problem) and then my system would not power on. No lights no fans no nothing... after i removed button battery and shorted contacts and tried again i was able to get the board and fans to light up for a fraction of a second 2 seperate times on 2 seperate power on attempts but then nothing since. Psu(corsair hx850) works fine gpu works fine both tested on another build, tried each stick of ram alone, tried with and without gpu in msi board and in all pci slots... im at a loss. Did i fry my mobo somehow? Any ideas? Is this a common thing with any of these parts?
if your ever removing ANYTHING from the pc always make sure every input of power is not inside , it takes such little time and can save a lot of money