Removed HDD from laptop, can I access files?

chrisfromoh

Honorable
Feb 28, 2013
Hello, so my charging input for my laptop finally died after months of problems, so I opened up laptop, breaking it in the process. However I did salvage the HDD and dvd/bluray drive. My question is: if I get an enclosure for the HDD drive and connect it to my desktop, will I be able to access all my files even though there is an OS (Windows 7) installed on it, or will it be formatted as soon as I connect the drive to my desktop? Thanks for any help!

hysteria357

Honorable
Oct 24, 2013
As long as it wasnt encrypted, you should be able to use an external enclosure and view all the files as if it was a giant flash drive. You wont be able to boot from it though.
Something like a SATA to USB cable will work just fine for salvaging files.

chrisfromoh

Honorable
Feb 28, 2013
Thanks for the help! One more question. I'm out of state right now and will be flying home soon. What's th best way to protect the drive while I pack it on my carry-on before I fly home? Can I just put it in a plastic bag?

chrisfromoh

Honorable
Feb 28, 2013
I do have anti-static bags but unfortunately they are back home and not with me on this trip. I'll try sticking it in a plastic bag and wrapping it with bubble wrap before putting it in my carry on.