removing a cpu back plate??

Brandon Holden

Honorable
Feb 4, 2014
Hey I'm trying to install a cpu cooler but the backside has a natural back plate that's offsetting the cooler back plate. Is it possible to remove this??

1xnd06C.jpg

mSrItIo.jpg

yCnk05X.jpg

Solution
You should NOT remove, or try to remove, the stock backplate on a motherboard. It bolts through to the CPU retention mechanism and you can really foul up your board. What CPU cooler is this? Every cooler I've ever installs takes into consideration the stock backplate for that particular socket. There should be instructions for installing the new cooler. Sometimes there are standoffs included to close the gaps between mount points.

toddybody

Distinguished

Natural backplate? The default backplate isnt coming off when you take off the stock cooler brackets?

You should NOT remove, or try to remove, the stock backplate on a motherboard. It bolts through to the CPU retention mechanism and you can really foul up your board. What CPU cooler is this? Every cooler I've ever installs takes into consideration the stock backplate for that particular socket. There should be instructions for installing the new cooler. Sometimes there are standoffs included to close the gaps between mount points.

Solution