[SOLVED] Removing a cpu cooler

hrisimir

Commendable
Oct 16, 2020
Currently I am running with arctic freezer 13 which is one of those with non standart fan mounting but the fan itself is rattling it's arse off. I am looking to swap it to freezer 34 (yes I like this manufacturer). The installation of the the 34 doesn't look all that complex (first time installing a cpu cooler, no choise since location is pretty far from closest city). My problem is removing the old freezer 13. So my question is (albeit pretty dumb I guess) Can I remove the whole thing together mounting heatsink and fan (it's using push up pins and I do have back access on the pc case) by using the forementioned push up pins (don't know how exactly they work, but will figure it out), since the fan is mounted in such a way that it requires a flathead screwdriver on 2 points on each side , which are damned hard if not impossible to reach without taking the whole motherboard out, and the second screw that holds the heatsink to the mounting is below the fan which is literally milimeters away from the Ram memory (which in case of fan removal will have to be taken out alonside the GPU. so yea just for clarity - Can I remove the whole thing together mounting heatsink and fan by just squeezing the push up pins from behind the mobo or just just rotating them from the inside like intel stock cooler ones I guess. Soz for essay, just back is to the wall. Also temps are fine (but am with msi mobo which doesn't allow me to take fans below 20 % speed which... wears em out quick I guess)

Solution
Currently I am running with arctic freezer 13 which is one of those with non standart fan mounting but the fan itself is rattling it's arse off. I am looking to swap it to freezer 34 (yes I like this manufacturer). The installation of the the 34 doesn't look all that complex (first time installing a cpu cooler, no choise since location is pretty far from closest city). My problem is removing the old freezer 13. So my question is (albeit pretty dumb I guess) Can I remove the whole thing together mounting heatsink and fan (it's using push up pins and I do have back access on the pc case) by using the forementioned push up pins (don't know how exactly they work, but will figure it out), since the fan is mounted in such a way that it...
Currently I am running with arctic freezer 13 which is one of those with non standart fan mounting but the fan itself is rattling it's arse off. I am looking to swap it to freezer 34 (yes I like this manufacturer). The installation of the the 34 doesn't look all that complex (first time installing a cpu cooler, no choise since location is pretty far from closest city). My problem is removing the old freezer 13. So my question is (albeit pretty dumb I guess) Can I remove the whole thing together mounting heatsink and fan (it's using push up pins and I do have back access on the pc case) by using the forementioned push up pins (don't know how exactly they work, but will figure it out), since the fan is mounted in such a way that it requires a flathead screwdriver on 2 points on each side , which are damned hard if not impossible to reach without taking the whole motherboard out, and the second screw that holds the heatsink to the mounting is below the fan which is literally milimeters away from the Ram memory (which in case of fan removal will have to be taken out alonside the GPU. so yea just for clarity - Can I remove the whole thing together mounting heatsink and fan by just squeezing the push up pins from behind the mobo or just just rotating them from the inside like intel stock cooler ones I guess. Soz for essay, just back is to the wall. Also temps are fine (but am with msi mobo which doesn't allow me to take fans below 20 % speed which... wears em out quick I guess)
Those push pins work same way as stock Intel mounts. Each one is made in two parts + locks. Pin is like a small pipe, hole in the middle and end that goes thru MB is split. Thru it goes a rod that serves like a wedge that spreads split part so it locks in MB hole. Until that is up it will not release from the hole and you can't do anything from the back.
34 on the other hand uses backplate to go behind MB so you might have to extract MB to place it.
PS. Once you release pins twist cooler a bit left and right so paste releases the grip on CPU or you might damage it if you pull straight up.

Solution

hrisimir

Commendable
Oct 16, 2020
Whew so I can just unpin it and it will come right off so I don't need to bother with the fan and the screws beneath it? And my case has an acces section for the back of the motherboard so I don't think I will have to extract it... thankfully . Thank you kind sir.

Do not remove a processor from the socket or you risk damaging the pins or socket.

Coolers tend to stick to the cpu, but the trick is to soften the paste first by running the cpu a bit to warm things up.
Then it should be easy to remove the old cooler and afterward the mounting hardware.