[SOLVED] Removing a CPU? Ryzen 5 2600x w/ cooler

cazzamillar

Prominent
Oct 28, 2018
Hi I recently built my first PC, plenty of problems so far, I haven't had the time to go through "perform these steps" sticky so you might see me back here but for now I'm wondering how you actually go about taking a CPU and it's cooler off.
I've been having problems with no signal going to the monitor and I have this nagging feeling it's because I messed about with the CPU cooler way too much before I figured how to properly install and I fear the thermal paste might have smeared and fried the CPU.
Although I don't even know if that's possible, or if I'm paranoid. Is there a particular way to remove the cooler, and is there something i should be looking for too see if the CPU is damaged or not?

Solution
Your monitor not getting a signal properly could be any number of possible things. The only way the CPU could be affected by the thermal compound would be if it got underneath the CPU pins. If it booted fine then we could rule out the possibility of anything being bent / broken. But most likely it is because something isn't properly configured in the power department. What is the full specs of your system?

g-unit1111

Titan
Your monitor not getting a signal properly could be any number of possible things. The only way the CPU could be affected by the thermal compound would be if it got underneath the CPU pins. If it booted fine then we could rule out the possibility of anything being bent / broken. But most likely it is because something isn't properly configured in the power department. What is the full specs of your system?

Solution

cazzamillar

Prominent
Oct 28, 2018
Yeah haven't done enough troubleshooting at this point it's just a gut feeling.

ASUS Prime B450-Plus Mobo
XFX RX 5700 8 GB GPU
Ryzen 5 2600x CPU
750w BitFenix Gold PSU
All of the above parts are new out the box but Im currently using a stick of 8gb RAM from an old prebuilt system, it's "proprietary" to the prebuilt so not sure exactly what it is but IIRC it's 2133mhz and I know it's DDR4.

I'm at work right now so can't do any proper test but I want to know as much as I can when for when I'm home because my Dad and I don't really know anything about building PCs.

g-unit1111

Titan
All of the above parts are new out the box but Im currently using a stick of 8gb RAM from an old prebuilt system, it's "proprietary" to the prebuilt so not sure exactly what it is but IIRC it's 2133mhz and I know it's DDR4.

Even if it's DDR-4 it's possible that could be shorting out your system. You need a RAM module that's compatible with the voltages on your motherboard. A lot of pre-built systems use proprietary components that don't always transfer over to a new rig.

cazzamillar

Prominent
Oct 28, 2018
Even if it's DDR-4 it's possible that could be shorting out your system. You need a RAM module that's compatible with the voltages on your motherboard. A lot of pre-built systems use proprietary components that don't always transfer over to a new rig.
Hmm, how should a system react if it's booted without any RAM? I don't even know if there's any store near me that sells RAM, and I'd hate to wait for it to arrive. Regardless, I'll try booting w/o RAM when I'm home and see what difference it makes.

g-unit1111

Titan
Hmm, how should a system react if it's booted without any RAM? I don't even know if there's any store near me that sells RAM, and I'd hate to wait for it to arrive. Regardless, I'll try booting w/o RAM when I'm home and see what difference it makes.

I personally have never tried it, but odds are that it most likely won't boot. Using proprietary RAM in a non proprietary motherboard could potentially be very bad down the road. Try Newegg or Amazon, they're usually the fastest when it comes to shipping components.

cazzamillar

Prominent
Oct 28, 2018
Update:

It was nothing to do with CPU, the single stick of RAM I'm using was installed in the 4th slot (the furthest away) when it should be on the 1st slot (apparently). If I wasn't such an idiot this first build would have actually been fairly smooth.

Thanks to g-unit1111 for his/her suggestions regardless, I feel much better about waiting for new RAM now anyway!

I'll be back in 5 years when I bork my next build.

Reactions: g-unit1111