[SOLVED] Removing a fan from PSU

loxy061

Honorable
Aug 12, 2015
Hi everyone, I am trying to build a pc to use with my tv but it has to fit in a really tight space so no case is going to be used and I also am going to remove the PSU case (it won’t be accessible so it’s safe) which means I won’t have a fan which I like since I want it to be super quiet but I am kinda paranoid that it might get too hot and blow up. The PSU is IGMAX 500c and the motherboard is Asus J1800I-c. It’s all components I had lying around from a really cheap prebuilt I got ages ago and it doesn’t draw much power but still I want to hear your opinion if it will be fine without te fan. Thanks in advance 😃

Solution
This is a horrible idea...

I would not trust that PSU as anything more than a doorstop, I would consider it a safety hazard. That power supply is both an ancient design and extremely poor quality.

Removing the fan is going to make this PSU even more unsafe. Honestly you really can't remove the case for numerous reasons besides just cooling.

Few things to note:
Not a reputable brand
No 80+ Certification
230v only. This allows the mfg to cut down on cost significantly, but does have downsides.
288w on the 12v rail. By modern standards this PSU is a 300w at best. It is not a 500w.
I don't see any safety certifications. Honestly it is unsafe out of the box, and extremely unsafe without the fan or casing.
This is a horrible idea...

I would not trust that PSU as anything more than a doorstop, I would consider it a safety hazard. That power supply is both an ancient design and extremely poor quality.

Removing the fan is going to make this PSU even more unsafe. Honestly you really can't remove the case for numerous reasons besides just cooling.

Few things to note:
Not a reputable brand
No 80+ Certification
230v only. This allows the mfg to cut down on cost significantly, but does have downsides.
288w on the 12v rail. By modern standards this PSU is a 300w at best. It is not a 500w.
I don't see any safety certifications. Honestly it is unsafe out of the box, and extremely unsafe without the fan or casing.

Solution
Hi everyone, I am trying to build a pc to use with my tv but it has to fit in a really tight space so no case is going to be used and I also am going to remove the PSU case (it won’t be accessible so it’s safe) which means I won’t have a fan which I like since I want it to be super quiet but I am kinda paranoid that it might get too hot and blow up. The PSU is IGMAX 500c and the motherboard is Asus J1800I-c. It’s all components I had lying around from a really cheap prebuilt I got ages ago and it doesn’t draw much power but still I want to hear your opinion if it will be fine without te fan. Thanks in advance 😃

This is a bad sandwich. It's got a bad PSU (a 300W PSU sold as a 500W) as the meat and bad ideas for the bread ("I don't think engineers actually put fans in PSUs because they need active cooling. I think they're just there so you know the PSU is working.").

AntonyLovric

Distinguished
Opinions are like ...... everyone has one.

Some PSUs are designed to be passively cooled, but even then their installation / placement is important (convection cooling works but is dependent on factors - power being dissipated, thermal transition, ambient temperature, airflow, etc.)

PS. If you go the route of no-fan, there is a risk of having a fire.

DSzymborski

Titan

Outside of making a PC for your TV, absolutely none of this is a non-horrific idea.