Question Removing All Need for Permissions to Read/Write to Drives?

avrona

Reputable
Feb 11, 2019
I remember doing it somehow or at least to some extent using the Registry Editor in Windows, though I can't remember exactly how, so does someone know how to do it? I'm using Windows 10 in the latest version.

Are you trying to share your pc with someone?

Create a new user, non admin

For one, your profile will be inaccessible by default to that user

Secondly, right click anyfolder, properties, security, advanced, disable inheritence, convert all permissions not remove, then remove the user or if as you say you want to fully disable, go into that user security properties in the folder properties, set all access for read and write as deny

Check apply to subfolders

That folder is now "standalone" parent, sub folders etc are under your permissions not the users, both people can still use the machine as normal

avrona

Reputable
Feb 11, 2019
Are you trying to share your pc with someone?

Create a new user, non admin

For one, your profile will be inaccessible by default to that user

Secondly, right click anyfolder, properties, security, advanced, disable inheritence, convert all permissions not remove, then remove the user or if as you say you want to fully disable, go into that user security properties in the folder properties, set all access for read and write as deny

Check apply to subfolders

That folder is now "standalone" parent, sub folders etc are under your permissions not the users, both people can still use the machine as normal
No I'm not trying to share it with anyone. I'm the only user of this PC and despite that I have issues writing to my own drives.

USAFRet

Titan
I remember doing it somehow or at least to some extent using the Registry Editor in Windows, though I can't remember exactly how, so does someone know how to do it? I'm using Windows 10 in the latest version.
You absolutely cannot "remove all permissions" for the entire drive space.
That will absolutely kill your OS. There are different permission level than 'admin'.

Now...what problem are you actually trying to solve?

avrona

Reputable
Feb 11, 2019
You absolutely cannot "remove all permissions" for the entire drive space.
That will absolutely kill your OS. There are different permission level than 'admin'.

Now...what problem are you actually trying to solve?
Like I said I cannot access some random locations. I can't write to them, it just says "A required privilege is not held by the client". Trying to change permissions in the security tab to change this results in an "access is denied" message for each file. Using "Take Ownership" also didn't work.

USAFRet

Titan
Like just F: for example, seems to be the biggest location I can't write anything to. It's a hard drive, and local on the PC, not a network location.
You don't remove permissions, you fix the actual problem.
And you especially don't remove all permissions on the entire system. And you really really don't delve into RegEdit to do this.

We out here would need a better description of the system to start to diagnose.

avrona

Reputable
Feb 11, 2019
You don't remove permissions, you fix the actual problem.
And you especially don't remove all permissions on the entire system. And you really really don't delve into RegEdit to do this.

We out here would need a better description of the system to start to diagnose.
Well what info do you need then?

avrona

Reputable
Feb 11, 2019
OS, motherboard, specific drives and what are on them...as much detail as you can give us.
Windows 10 Home in latest version, X570 Aorus Elite, and the drives are a Aorus PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD as the main drive with the OS, an optical drive, a Seagate ST1000DM003-1CH162 hard drive, and a Seagate ST31000524AS hardrive, with the latter being the F drive I mentioned earlier. All drives report as healthy in CrystalDisk Info.