Removing an SSD

mishnat

Distinguished
Jul 26, 2011
I bought a computer with a 32 Gig SSD (C: drive) and a 1.5 Terabyte HD (D: drive). Win 7 Ultimate was installed on the SSD. I was hoping to use the regular HD for programs and files, but it seems that most programs need to sit on top of Win 7 or they won't work. Of course the SSD's capacity is insufficient. Should I just remove the SSD, reinstall Win 7 on the HD? If yes, must I fiddle with the boot manager to ensure that it will now recognize the HD as the only drive or will it do so automatically?

M

Solution
One of our excellent members recently posted a simple registry change that will solve this problem. You change a value that identifies the default install location, do the install, then change the value back. I don't know it off the top of my head; I will search. EDIT: Here we go. Credit to JohnnyLucky http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/271299-32-boot-disk-primary

Another alternative is to go buy a larger SSD! Assuming that you've got a few hundred dollars lying around for the purpose.

compulsivebuilder

Distinguished
Jun 10, 2011
No. You do NOT have to install everything on the boot drive.

Most software lets you specify where to install the programs. Make a directory on the magnetic disk and install programs under it (for example D:\Programs)

If you find too much software that insists on installing on C:, then there is a potential solution. You may be able to shift the "Program Files" directory onto the magnetic drive, possibly by mounting the magnetic drive under that directory name on the SSD. Yes, it's somewhat evil, but should work.

mishnat

Distinguished
Jul 26, 2011
I already tried installing on D: as you suggested. But some programs, notably MS Office and IE, perhaps others as well, insist on installing on C:. I will try your other solution - - mounting the magnetic drive under that directory name on the SSD. Would I have to change anything in the registry?

One of our excellent members recently posted a simple registry change that will solve this problem. You change a value that identifies the default install location, do the install, then change the value back. I don't know it off the top of my head; I will search. EDIT: Here we go. Credit to JohnnyLucky http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/271299-32-boot-disk-primary

Another alternative is to go buy a larger SSD! Assuming that you've got a few hundred dollars lying around for the purpose.

Solution
Just saw a question about program file directories in the original post WyomingKnott linked to.

There are two file paths! Both file paths are correct. Which file a software application is installed to depends on the type of software application. The C:\Program Files is for 64bit software and C:\ProgramFile(x86) is for 32 bit software.

I agree with Wyoming Knott - You do have the option of purchasing a larger capacity ssd for your Operating System, software applications, and utilities. A 120GB ssd is a very popular option. Data folders and files can be stored on a hard disk drive.