[SOLVED] Removing ASUS folders

mudwub

Distinguished
Oct 22, 2014
Hey everyone. Quick question on removing ASUS folders.

I was installing an application to control the lighting in my case. I mistakenly installed the ASUS armoury crate software when I should have installed the ASRock lighting software since that is the mobo I have.

I was able to remove most of the ASUS stuff through the apps and features window tool. However, there were a few leftover ASUS folders in program files and AppData.

Are these ok to remove? I don’t actually have any ASUS products in my system, so figured they all came from installing the ASUS armoury crate program and would be ok to delete.

Solution
sure, fine to remove them. may still be some in your Documents or C:\ProgramData folders also.
you may also want to run CCleaner and fix\remove any leftover registry entries along with them.

they shouldn't actually cause any harm or interfere with anything, but sometimes it's just nice to be sure you've totally removed unwanted junk.
sure, fine to remove them. may still be some in your Documents or C:\ProgramData folders also.
you may also want to run CCleaner and fix\remove any leftover registry entries along with them.

they shouldn't actually cause any harm or interfere with anything, but sometimes it's just nice to be sure you've totally removed unwanted junk.

Solution

mudwub

Distinguished
Oct 22, 2014

Hey so I went ahead and downloaded CCleaner to clean up the registry a bit. I just did a scan and then fixed all the issues it found.

I read that using the registry cleaner can be harmful to the system though? Is there anyway to tell if anything that was fixed/removed by CCleaner from the registry is hurting the system?

This comp is not even a week old, so if I need to I suppose I could reinstall Windows.

i've used the registry cleaner option hundreds of times on many systems from Windows 7 thru to 10 and have never had an issue.
it's a fairly well designed application that shouldn't remove anything detrimental to the OS.

though i always look at what registry "problems" it returns before executing.
the only things i think i've ever unchecked were shortcuts to uninstalled\relocated .exes that it wanted to remove that i wanted to keep around.

it's also nice that it gives easy access to almost all startup locations.
makes it easier to disable any applications that are starting up with Windows that you do not want to be running.

mudwub

Distinguished
Oct 22, 2014
i've used the registry cleaner option hundreds of times on many systems from Windows 7 thru to 10 and have never had an issue.
it's a fairly well designed application that shouldn't remove anything detrimental to the OS.

though i always look at what registry "problems" it returns before executing.
the only things i think i've ever unchecked were shortcuts to uninstalled\relocated .exes that it wanted to remove that i wanted to keep around.

it's also nice that it gives easy access to almost all startup locations.
makes it easier to disable any applications that are starting up with Windows that you do not want to be running.

Oh that’s good to know! Yeah I didn’t look through all of the issues but for most of them it said it was from uninstalled programs that were left behind. Which I assume is fine.

The one thing I read that got me worried was this comment.

Reddit Comment

At the bottom they talk about it potentially hurting the defrag process. Was curious if there was a way to actually know if something important was deleted? Aside from just stumbling upon it later on down the line.

they talk about it potentially hurting the defrag process.
if your running your OS on an SSD or M.2 drive you don't want to defrag anyway, just run the trim process.
if they mean "defragging" the registry, deleted entries there wouldn't affect this.
curious if there was a way to actually know if something important was deleted? Aside from just stumbling upon it later on down the line
have never noticed any reports generated from the scan. though you may try checking the install directory and any User or ProgramData folders created by CCleaner.

mudwub

Distinguished
Oct 22, 2014
if your running your OS on an SSD or M.2 drive you don't want to defrag anyway, just run the trim process.
if they mean "defragging" the registry, deleted entries there wouldn't affect this.

I have also read that you’re not supposed to defrag an SSD. It’s also a brand new computer so I wasn’t planning on doing that anytime soon anyway. I need to look into the trim process tho. Haven’t used that before.

Is defragging the registry something that should be done every now and then? I have not looked into that before.