[SOLVED] Removing completely windows 10 from SSD drive

Dec 10, 2019
Hi

Recently I'm facing game crashes, so after doing everything possible about the drivers, I reseted windows 10. The thing I noticed is that not everything is cleaned. Even if I clean the disk by commands on the installation process (with disk) there is information about network password, display settings and other stuff that appears after reinstalling the OS. Is it possible to clean the SSD entirely without leavings on the drive? My drive has 1 TB and I also noticed that I can only allocate 931 GB.

Thank you

Solution
the 1TB thing comes down to formatting, Microsoft and the drive makers use a lightly different measuring stick, Gibibytes vs Gigabytes. the slight difference in the way the space is measured accounts for the different capacities you observe. this has been the defacto standard for storage devices for over two decades.
losing 70GB to the format is normal and expected due to how they are measured.

if you want to remove everything on the drive, you can boot into a live linux drive, mount the HDD and format/remove the partition in linux. shut down, insert windows installation media and boot into the installer.

Boot to a USB drive with linux on it. grab a...

R_1

Expert
Ambassador
the 1TB thing comes down to formatting, Microsoft and the drive makers use a lightly different measuring stick, Gibibytes vs Gigabytes. the slight difference in the way the space is measured accounts for the different capacities you observe. this has been the defacto standard for storage devices for over two decades.

if you want to remove everything on the drive, you can boot into a live linux drive, mount the HDD and format/remove the partition in linux. shut down, insert windows installation media and boot into the installer.

Boot to a USB drive with linux on it. grab a USB drive, a copy of rufus and a linux distribution.
http://distrowatch.com/ has tons of differing linux distributions and download links. I personally am fond of linux mint with cinnamon.
https://rufus.ie/ the utility used to extract the ISO file to the USB drive.

use rufus to extract the selected ISO to the thumb drive. it will make the drive bootable and you can run linux from the drive once done.
Reboot into linux and proceed to test the hardware. connect to internet, watch videos, await problems.
if linux is good and stable the issue is most likely inside windows or otherwise software related.
this is a test of the hardware.

Solution
Dec 10, 2019

Thank you for your answer. Now I would like to know if during windows 10 installation, when there is a screen to allocate memory, and when pressing shift+F10, cleaning the disk will clean EVERY single information from the disk? I realized that when I'm doing the configuration of windows, it is not asked password of the Network and other features. After I'm on the windows 10 desktop I can see that the display is already 1920x1080 144 HZ something that didn't happen on the first installation process. The first time I installed Windows 10 I had to make the changes myself. Other thing I noticed is that I need to insert a pin instead of password on the session startup. The password I choosed on the first installation is now necessary if I enter the system in safe mode.

R_1

Expert
Ambassador
you can have the installer remove all the partitions and then let it allocate as it needs.
partition removal effectively destroys all the data that was there rendering it like new for your purposes.

I am not sure but I think the windows reset keeps certain hardware settings like drivers, if the driver logged the passwords for the wifi, and the driver for the GPU stayed installed it would behave as you describe.

I am not sure because I would rather nuke and install a new, I DO not use the windows refresh feature.

Dec 10, 2019
you can have the installer remove all the partitions and then let it allocate as it needs.
partition removal effectively destroys all the data that was there rendering it like new for your purposes.

I am not sure but I think the windows reset keeps certain hardware settings like drivers, if the driver logged the passwords for the wifi, and the driver for the GPU stayed installed it would behave as you describe.

I am not sure because I would rather nuke and install a new, I DO not use the windows refresh feature.

I did several resets on the computer, but the last one was a diskpart clean and the unalocatted memory size was 931 GB, so I thought everything disappeared from the SSD.

R_1

Expert
Ambassador
that should have nuked everything.
at this point the installer would need to make the new partitions needed for installation.
is this the only drive installed to the system? windows likes to spread the wealth so to speak, putting system files on other drives.
when installing windows make sure the target drive and the installation source drive are the only drives attached, after windows installs and updates you can reconnect the other drives.

Dec 10, 2019
that should have nuked everything.
at this point the installer would need to make the new partitions needed for installation.
is this the only drive installed to the system? windows likes to spread the wealth so to speak, putting system files on other drives.
when installing windows make sure the target drive and the installation source drive are the only drives attached, after windows installs and updates you can reconnect the other drives.

I think I found the issue. When I cleaned the drive by diskpart, I continued the installing process without restarting. Now that I restarted the setup was a bit different. The screen had lower resolution, but the network part didn't ask for password. Anyway I continued and now I was asked to put the name on the account setup, but I selected the option that I already have an account. After I inserted the Microsoft credentials the screen suddenly changed to 1920x1080 144 Hz resolution. So it seems the Microsoft account stores my preferences. Now only time will tell if all this work will prevent my games to crash.

Thank you for your help

TRENDING THREADS