Removing corrupt index $130 in file 19604

fishpie

Distinguished
Feb 19, 2010
this is the second time my machine has done this, it takes a while to boot and has been having issues for about a year. i'll copy letter for letter what is said

Checking file system on E:
The type of the file system is NTFS.

one of your disks needs to be checked for consistency. you may cancel the disk check, but is is strongly recommended that you continue.
windows will now check the disk

CHKDSK is verifying files (stage 1 of 3)...
File verification completed.
CHKDSK is verifying indexes (stage 2 of 3)...
removing corrupt index $130 in file 19604.
43 percent completed

---
Thats it at the moment, now for all i know, this could be it fixing itself and an issue may never return, but i just wanted a little more info on this subject. it has been on this for about 2 and a half to 3 hours.

i have tried to find answers myself and all that i have found out so far is that the NTFS is something to do with security and privacy, i could be wrong but that pretty much what i found out.

searching for answers already given is all well and good, but i thought that a direct, fresh answer would teach me much better.

any information, even just if its to tell me exactly what my machine is doing will help. i'm here to learn.

Thanks for any replies,
'Fish' :wahoo:

manojgj

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2009
if they stuck whil checking file system or hdd may get damaged,, how long you are using that HDD.. try to copy all the file from your E: drive and perform a full format,so winds can check for bad sectors & keep them unused(if you do quick format, it wont find the bad sectors)

jamworld

Distinguished
May 11, 2010
This is a problem that plagued me for many years, too, in many different ways and incarnations. But I don't know if you're running XP. I am unfamiliar with VISTA and its check disk and repair functions - but this sounds like an XP problem.

You have also listed the drive as E. Is it an external drive?

Regardless, for any drive that continually runs a chkdsk on boot you might have a registry entry marking that drive as dirty that is not being cleared. That is fixed by in the registry and you can look that up. But we're not there yet because chkdsk is reporting actual corruption.

This is usually due to some sort of indexing operation or typically a "DEFRAG" operation while your computer is using the drive. A good defrag program that runs automatically should detect disk usage and suspend its operation. If you are running it manually or if you are running some other operation that prompts indexing STOP DOING ANYTHING ELSE!

Because file movements and changes on the disk, recorded to the index, are always going to be changing while you're trying to read and write to them. Something is bound to get messed up!

(Running chckdsk from a command prompt on your main drive, usually C, that you boot from and that holds the OS can ONLY be done on boot because the C drive is always functioning. Running CHKDSK without a repair option will ALWAYS report errors on C: if Windows is running - usually in index $130. If you run chkdsk with /F or /R it will refuse and ask if you want to do it on your next boot.)

That's my guess as to the mechanism that causes the original corrruption - but according to your post, you keep getting the same error in the same index and file with each boot. If that's what you mean and this is not just a random example, well, that is just so unlikely as to be impossible.

Therefore it seems to me this is the same corrupted index entry and some program you used once came to it and prompted the chkdsk but without any repair flags. (That seems kind of crazy) But if it is always the SAME index and file - it must mean that however it happened, the original corruption has never been fixed.

First go to a command prompt on your E: Drive and type chkdsk /F or chkdsk /R. If it is an external drive, it may ask you if you want to release it or unmount it for this operation. Say yes and let the drive be fixed. If the drive is in use and tied to the computer's current operations chkdsk will tell you it can't be run but it will ask if you want to run it on the next Boot. Tell it yes.

Restart your computer, chkdsk should discover the usual error but fix it this time and in running chkdsk you will have also cleared the flag that keeps telling Windows the index is corrupted.

If running chkdsk /F or chkdsk /R on the drive on boot does NOT fix it, search online for instructions how to change autochk on startup
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/831426