tophan47

Distinguished
May 13, 2007
Originally I had thought that my memory was bad but turns out it works in the other 3 slots...just slot B1 is damaged. Now I face the problem of returning the motherboard. Problem is I have the cpu and heatsink (zalman 9700) already installed on the board with the arctic silver thermal grease in between. Can someone guide me in the right direction to remove this without damaging something else.

Appreciate the help.

btw its an ASUS P5n-e

Complexion

Distinguished
May 16, 2007
Disingadge the clamp on the CPU cooler and gently pull cooler away from the CPU. You may have to give it a couple of twist to loosten the cooler from the CPU. Now you can remove the CPU from teh motherboard. Be sure to clean off the old thermal paste with a soft cloth or coffee filter and some rubbing alcohal. Always clean off the old past whenever the cooler is removed and re apply fresh paste before mounting the cooler again.

To add to that, if the CPU happens to be stick to the heatsink and twisting it ever so slightly doesn't free it. I would probably re-seat it and turn on your computer for just a few short seconds to warm up the thermal paste just enough that would allow you remove the heatsink. I would probably guess you wouldn't need to have the pc on for no more than 10 to 20 seconds at the most.