[SOLVED] Removing glue from psu

• Thread starter Deleted member 2849646
  • Start date
Solution
are there any thin rubber washers that i could try? Maybe that’ll stop the vibrations? When i cleaned the fan and blew into it with an air can it was silent, so maybe some kind of shock isolator will help dampen the nose?

Ok. You didn't describe the issue to such detail before. Make sure there are no fan blades that are broken or bent. If it's a vibration caused by imbalance, rubber washers aren't going to help too much. But yes... you can definitely try rubber o-rings. That's not a bad idea.

Just don't commit too much. No offense, but this is an old junky PSU in an old junky PC. :( Dell makes these PC's to be "disposable".
D

Deleted member 2849646

What PSU is that? Just the little bit of the PCB shown is quite frightening. If this is as junk PSU, it's not worth putting a good fan in it.
Hi,

It's just the stock psu in a dell optiplex 3040 sff. Are they bad? I got two 80mm fans to quieten down the unit (replacing origimal cpu and case fan), but the psu fan is the one remaining noisy fan now. Hardly seems worth spending £14 on a fan to put in a £60 machine! That’s like 25% of the value of the machine on a fan! Hah!

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi,

any idea how I can remove the glue from this? View: https://imgur.com/a/bj5ORIe

I would like to change psu fan and the old fan’s cable is literally glued onto the socket!

Needle nose pliers. The glue should crack right off. That said, this doesn't look like a very good PSU. If anything, it's a very old PSU. Also, changing the PSU fan doesn't change the PSU fan controller. If the controller feels the components need more air, it's just going to spin whatever fan you have in there at a higher RPM. This is just all around a bad idea.

Reactions: ex_bubblehead
D

Deleted member 2849646

Needle nose pliers. The glue should crack right off. That said, this doesn't look like a very good PSU. If anything, it's a very old PSU. Also, changing the PSU fan doesn't change the PSU fan controller. If the controller feels the components need more air, it's just going to spin whatever fan you have in there at a higher RPM. This is just all around a bad idea.

are there any thin rubber washers that i could try? Maybe that’ll stop the vibrations? When i cleaned the fan and blew into it with an air can it was silent, so maybe some kind of shock isolator will help dampen the nose?

D

Deleted member 2849646

Also, do you even know what you are doing in a psu? Power supplies even unplugged can carry enough juice to stop your heart, opening them is very dangerous if you aren’t trained. I’ve been working on computers for over 20 years and I would never open one.

i know about the capacitors carrying high charge if that’s what you mean. I was very very careful. Thanks for your concern.

Reactions: ohio_buckeye

Ok. You didn't describe the issue to such detail before. Make sure there are no fan blades that are broken or bent. If it's a vibration caused by imbalance, rubber washers aren't going to help too much. But yes... you can definitely try rubber o-rings. That's not a bad idea.

Just don't commit too much. No offense, but this is an old junky PSU in an old junky PC. :( Dell makes these PC's to be "disposable".

Solution