Removing items from right click menu

zulu

IIRC, there is a way of removing some of the right click context menu with
the help of TweakUI.
I'm darned if I can find it though!
Can somebody point me in the righ direction please!
TIA

--
¦ zulu ¦
Dell Dimension XPS-T700r, 512 MB RAM, XP Pro. SP2, 21" CRT, 150DPI

kelly

Hi,

TweakUI offers a way to remove items from the "New" menu which is under
Templates.

As for the right click menu:

It depends on where in the right click menu.

Go to Start/Run/Regedit and navigate to:

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\*\OpenWithList
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\*\shellex\ContextMenuHandlers
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Directory\Background
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Directory\shell
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Directory\shellex\ContextMenuHandlers
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Drive\shell
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Drive\shellex\ContextMenuHandlers
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Folder\shell
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Folder\shellex\ContextMenuHandlers

Customizing Right-Click Menu Options in Windows
http://www.jfitz.com/tips/rclick_custom.html

ContextEdit lets you control which items appear on your context menu
(right-click) in Windows Explorer.

Add, Modify, Disable, Delete Context Menu Listings (Line 23)

Happy Holidays,
Kelly (MS-MVP)

Troubleshooting Windows XP
http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com

"zulu" <nothere@ntlworld.com> wrote in message
> IIRC, there is a way of removing some of the right click context menu with
> the help of TweakUI.
> I'm darned if I can find it though!
> Can somebody point me in the righ direction please!
> TIA
>
> --
> ¦ zulu ¦
> Dell Dimension XPS-T700r, 512 MB RAM, XP Pro. SP2, 21" CRT, 150DPI

zulu

Oops!
I *did* mean the *New* Menu actually, but this is a _more than useful* reply
and will be copied to my keep folder.

TYVM Kelly
(One of the problems with dodgy eyes is that it can get very hard to find
things, even when I'm sure that I know where they are!)

> Hi,
>
> TweakUI offers a way to remove items from the "New" menu which is under
> Templates.
>
> As for the right click menu:
>
> It depends on where in the right click menu.
>
> Go to Start/Run/Regedit and navigate to:
>
> HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\*\OpenWithList
> HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\*\shellex\ContextMenuHandlers
> HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Directory\Background
> HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Directory\shell
> HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Directory\shellex\ContextMenuHandlers
> HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Drive\shell
> HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Drive\shellex\ContextMenuHandlers
> HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Folder\shell
> HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Folder\shellex\ContextMenuHandlers
>
> Customizing Right-Click Menu Options in Windows
> http://www.jfitz.com/tips/rclick_custom.html
>
> ContextEdit lets you control which items appear on your context menu
> (right-click) in Windows Explorer.
>
> Add, Modify, Disable, Delete Context Menu Listings (Line 23)

> Happy Holidays,
> Kelly (MS-MVP)
>
> Troubleshooting Windows XP
> http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com
>

> "zulu" <nothere@ntlworld.com> wrote in message
>> IIRC, there is a way of removing some of the right click context menu
>> with the help of TweakUI.
>> I'm darned if I can find it though!
>> Can somebody point me in the righ direction please!
>> TIA
>>
>> --
>> ¦ zulu ¦
>> Dell Dimension XPS-T700r, 512 MB RAM, XP Pro. SP2, 21" CRT, 150DPI

Kelly,

I was browsing the Newsgroup and found this query which interests me. I have
a lot of stuff in my right-click and wonder how to modify it.

Line 23 of http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_tweaks.htm reads:
23. Run Startup Programs from the CMD Prompt Allow or Disable CD Burn

This doesn't seem appropriate to the problem

Is there another place I should look?

Trevor L.

zulu

I also found it inappropriate :-(

"Trevor L." <tandcl@homemail.com.au> wrote in message
> Kelly,
>
> I was browsing the Newsgroup and found this query which interests me. I
> have a lot of stuff in my right-click and wonder how to modify it.
>
> Line 23 of http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_tweaks.htm reads:
> 23. Run Startup Programs from the CMD Prompt Allow or Disable CD Burn
>
> This doesn't seem appropriate to the problem
>
> Is there another place I should look?
>
> Trevor L.

kelly

My bad. Has been since removed and replaced with
http://www.jfitz.com/tips/rclick_custom.html
The one I had listed on line 23 required a registration.

--
Happy Holidays,
Kelly (MS-MVP)

Troubleshooting Windows XP
http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com

"Trevor L." <tandcl@homemail.com.au> wrote in message
> Kelly,
>
> I was browsing the Newsgroup and found this query which interests me. I
> have a lot of stuff in my right-click and wonder how to modify it.
>
> Line 23 of http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_tweaks.htm reads:
> 23. Run Startup Programs from the CMD Prompt Allow or Disable CD Burn
>
> This doesn't seem appropriate to the problem
>
> Is there another place I should look?
>
> Trevor L.

chris134a

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2009
Recently installed a program on my computer that was giving me problems. When I uninstalled the program it left behind a right click menu option which was causing all sorts of problems with my computer. Thanks to Kelly I was able to look in the locations specified and sure enough there it was. Deleted it and it disappeared like magic. Computer is running good now thanks again.

BIG THANK YOU!!!

someoneelse

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2009
I have found the following nirsoft shell menu view to very helpful

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/shell_menu_view.html

It is totally free ( a 37 kb download )

After installing nch switch sound file converter it had left my computer with a lot of unwanted explorer right click context menu items. ie "convert video" file "edit video file" similar items for photos and documents.
I found it was difficult to tell from the registry where to disable these from. Shell menu view gives a good overall insight and makes it very easy to customise your right click and especially removed unwanted items. Its free and I totally recommend it.