Question Removing laptop GPU chip ?

Jun 20, 2023
i have an hp probook 4720s. which had been having an issue of overheating but now it's completely not working. i'm 100% sure it's a faulty gpu chip, it's an ati radeon chip. my question is if i remove the gpu chip and it's memory will it work on integrated chip yes or no and do i have to do the bios too ?

Darkscythe

Prominent
Feb 26, 2023
A processor can be of two types: One with integrated graphics and one with No integrated graphics. Send the exact model of your cpu for further help.

Reactions: OwaisAhmed
That CPU does have an IGP in it, but we don't know if it's wired to the display outputs.

In modern laptops, the IGP always draws the screen while any discrete GPU chip is "headless" (that is, no display outputs) so only sends the image to the IGP--that's how headless mining-only cards can be used for gaming nowadays. Your laptop is 13 years old and might not have worked that way, especially if only certain driver combinations worked and you had to install the Intel and AMD drivers in a certain order to get the discrete chip working.

In the olden days it would've been simple to just lift the GPU chip's power leads up a little to test this, but more recent chips are BGA so you'd have to remove the whole chip. In any case you shouldn't have to worry about leaving the VRAM in place as it won't do anything without a GPU. Look at it this way--if you remove the chip and it doesn't work, then it'd the same work to replace the old chip as it would be to install a new one so you'd obviously do the latter. And then it should work as designed.

Reactions: OwaisAhmed
Jun 20, 2023
That CPU does have an IGP in it, but we don't know if it's wired to the display outputs.

In modern laptops, the IGP always draws the screen while any discrete GPU chip is "headless" (that is, no display outputs) so only sends the image to the IGP--that's how headless mining-only cards can be used for gaming nowadays. Your laptop is 13 years old and might not have worked that way, especially if only certain driver combinations worked and you had to install the Intel and AMD drivers in a certain order to get the discrete chip working.

In the olden days it would've been simple to just lift the GPU chip's power leads up a little to test this, but more recent chips are BGA so you'd have to remove the whole chip. In any case you shouldn't have to worry about leaving the VRAM in place as it won't do anything without a GPU. Look at it this way--if you remove the chip and it doesn't work, then it'd the same work to replace the old chip as it would be to install a new one so you'd obviously do the latter. And then it should work as designed.
thanks for the help i might try this.