Removing metal heat spreader cap on a CPU

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is something I've been thinking about and I might give it a try. I have an old Penium 4 processor from the early 2000's. This processor was part of a Dell that has been dead for awhile and it's been trashed but I saved the processor. So being a hardware addict and always loving to know how stuff works I was wondering if there is a way to remove the metal heat spreader cap on a CPU?

Solution
Yes, but you won't have control over where it goes, and it may just sit there until you take it out and it cools down again. A heat gun would be easier, as you could just heat up the solder and scrape it off.
the Pentium 4s aren't soldered like wolffale.

yes you can remove it. Google away. there's no "way it works" under there though its just a silicon chip you cant see anything on. like on old chips before they started adding the IHS. you'll get more knowledge from Googling blowups of the architecture, but to each his own

Actually some are but it depends on what generation p4 it is. The later models are but the early models aren't.

OP can try to remove the die from the substrate and I have only done it once. It is not easy without breaking the die.

The processor says

Intel 05
Penium 4
630 SL8Q7 China
3.00 GHZ/2M/800/04A
H626A306

This one looks like it's soldered. Around the base of the cap there's a black film that almost looks rubber like. It's holding down on the cap and it's not releasing at all. Is this solder? If it is can you put it in the oven and heat it up to melt it?

Yes, but you won't have control over where it goes, and it may just sit there until you take it out and it cools down again. A heat gun would be easier, as you could just heat up the solder and scrape it off.

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS