[SOLVED] Removing my Storage on M2.2280 SSD before fresh install of Windows 1 V2004

Mossey

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2012
I am using a Samsung 500GB 960 EVO M.2.2280 as my main boot drive. I use a Adata Gammix S11 Pro 2TB M2.280 PCie Gen 3x4 ssd as a storage drive. In the past I was using a traditional 2TB HHD Sata3 as storage. I would remove this drive from the system, them install a fresh copy of windows on the EVO960. Reattach the HHD and all my stored files were go to go. The HHD was not part of the windows installation so it could be removed any time. System would boot as normal, never any issues. I need to know if I can do the same thing with GammixS11. Remove it from by Asrock Z170 Extreme7+ MB, fresh install Win 10, then replace the Gammix S11, data intact?

Solution
I dont think there will be an issue just keeping them , formatting EVO drive and selecting evo to make boot patritions and other stuff.
But in other side you're right, windows 10 might install boot patrition on other dive as I've had that suprise when it installed actually on my 1TB drive.
I dont think there will be an issue just keeping them , formatting EVO drive and selecting evo to make boot patritions and other stuff.
But in other side you're right, windows 10 might install boot patrition on other dive as I've had that suprise when it installed actually on my 1TB drive.

Reactions: Mossey
Solution

USAFRet

Titan
Absolutely disconnect all other drives during the install process.

The first part of this outlines why:

Reactions: Mossey

Mossey

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2012
Yes! All that replied, I thank you! I went ahead and give it a go it worked almost flawless! When I added the storage SSD the system did a reboot and went into the bios. I thought I was in trouble. All I need to do was basically confirm the boot order, then I was OK!