Removing Old entries from the Boot menu.

megamidge11

Honorable
Jun 1, 2013
So..
i was trying to install windows to an SSD, worked fine except it was a dodgy SSD that didn't really work. After all this, i have two extra windows 7 boot options within the initial boot menu. this is annoying as i have to make sure to select the right one, as the 2 extra ones can't be booted, they just return an error, because what they are trying to load doesn't exist.
I've tried use BCDEDIT and the boot entries are not (ARE NOT) there. So how am i supposed to get rid of them?

Thanks,
~Sam

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
they are often listed in your config file and can be removed form there. type "msconfig" in the run command and then click the "boot" tab. this should list all that is shown at start-up and you can delete the extras from there.

this usually works anyway.

megamidge11

Honorable
Jun 1, 2013
Well EasyBCD a bcdedit didn't work for me, because the things to delete aren't present as a deletable thing, like i said in the origonal post. Also, the msconfig/boot route doesn't work too, again, the entries are not listed are existing. But they definitely do, in the boot screen.

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
that is odd, if they are listed, then they exist in the boot record which you have clearly looked at.

i don't know of any other place that keeps this data. could there be some sort of place for the bios to hold onto this info? never seen it myself but it's the only other place for boot information to be stored at that i can think of.

let me think a bit and see what i can think of. it's stored somewhere but i can't think of where else it might be.