Removing PC hdd and inserting PS4 hdd so PC can scan it for issues

olblue82

Reputable
Nov 24, 2016
I have a Dell optiplex 390 DT with only one storage bay. My Firecuda SSHD that I have used for less than a year in my PS4 seems to have randomly gone out. My PS4 will no longer read it. I have researched several options on trying to find a cause and solution. One site suggested the hdd may be able to be fixed by putting it into a PC and see if it can recognize it and running certain Windows tools. I have several questions regarding my sudden issue, but my main one now is can my single hdd in my PC be removed and the other inserted without messing up anything between either hdd or my PC? Or must my PC have the existing storage in it to be able to do anything?

QwerkyPengwen

Splendid
Ambassador
If your pc has only one drive and no others, then no, you cannot remove it because your operating system is installed on it.

But, if you have a spare sata cable lying around, you can plug it in to an empty sata port on your motherboard and then plug in a pci power connector and let it hang down while you do stuff with it.

But make sure the pc is completely off when you plug it in and unplug it.

You can also buy a powered usb hdd adapter for like $20. Once you plug the drive in I would run device manager to see if it comes up and then a smart scan with something like hdd sentinel. That should tell you the condition of the drive and an expected lifetime, although this is not very acurate.

olblue82

Reputable
Nov 24, 2016
Okay, thanks guys. The sata cables was one of the options on the site that I've been looking at but didn't quite follow it. That clears it up for me. If the adapter is a cheaper option than getting the cables I will go that route as well. Thanks again.