Question Removing ram causes blank screen.

Audio31

Reputable
Feb 10, 2017
I have 3 ram sticks tried removing the second slot ram stick but after my computer gets a black screen, fans work and board lights up but no display. The power button also won't work have to switch off psu instead.

Putting the ram back in and I can boot as normal.

Did a ram check with no errors.

What's causing this?

The B450 Chipset runs memory in dual channel. If you look in the manual, it will show you what order to put the sticks in. I suppose since the AMD chips need the memory bandwidth, Gigabyte just says NO when you you put multiple modules in single-channel mode.

The B450 Chipset runs memory in dual channel. If you look in the manual, it will show you what order to put the sticks in. I suppose since the AMD chips need the memory bandwidth, Gigabyte just says NO when you you put multiple modules in single-channel mode.
The black screen was because he wasn't even running single channel. That's what happens when you install the modules in the incorrect dimm slots.

Audio31

Reputable
Feb 10, 2017
Slot 2 & 4 worked, also noticed moving ram and only having 2 seems to have dropped my cpu temps to the 30's in idle was around 50 with a ryzen 5 3600.

Motherboard, bios or other fault?