[SOLVED] Removing superglue from a motherboard ?

goran.orsolic33

Honorable
Mar 12, 2018
Soo, my friend and I kind of messed up. We were messing around with computers and parts and we found an old working cpu that would be a decent upgrade to his dad's very old PC. In the process of removing the cpu cooler we broke the standoffs. His father needs his computer every day so we couldn't wait the few days we need to get new standoffs. And like idiots we were we decided to superglue the cooler to the motherboard. And we used a decent amount. We thought the cpu won't ever be changed again so no problem, yes? But there is a problem which we didn't think about. The cooler isn't installed properly so it doesn't cool properly. The cpu idles at over 90°C and after a while goes over 105°C ane shuts off. So if anyone had any kind of similar experience, what are safe ways to remove superglue from motherboards? Any help is appreciated. Also idk if this thread belongs under motherboards but I didn't know where to post

Solution
As drea.drechsler said, acetone can be used for removing superglue (alcohol does nothing). Now, acetone is quite aggressive for some materials and I assume it can also damage transparent coating on motherboard (and who knows what else).
That is, you should apply acetone only on superglue by using toothpick or small precise brush. You don't need to "bath" superglue with acetone. Very little is enough for superglue to start "melting" and it won't turn back to glue anymore (I say that because acetone evaporates quickly). Important is, you can remove cooler.. don't clean glue remains on motherboard any further (to avoid damages).
...That's how I would try.
Soo, my friend and I kind of messed up. We were messing around with computers and parts and we found an old working cpu that would be a decent upgrade to his dad's very old PC. In the process of removing the cpu cooler we broke the standoffs. His father needs his computer every day so we couldn't wait the few days we need to get new standoffs. And like idiots we were we decided to superglue the cooler to the motherboard. And we used a decent amount. We thought the cpu won't ever be changed again so no problem, yes? But there is a problem which we didn't think about. The cooler isn't installed properly so it doesn't cool properly. The cpu idles at over 90°C and after a while goes over 105°C ane shuts off. So if anyone had any kind of similar experience, what are safe ways to remove superglue from motherboards? Any help is appreciated. Also idk if this thread belongs under motherboards but I didn't know where to post
Rubbing alcohol

As drea.drechsler said, acetone can be used for removing superglue (alcohol does nothing). Now, acetone is quite aggressive for some materials and I assume it can also damage transparent coating on motherboard (and who knows what else).
That is, you should apply acetone only on superglue by using toothpick or small precise brush. You don't need to "bath" superglue with acetone. Very little is enough for superglue to start "melting" and it won't turn back to glue anymore (I say that because acetone evaporates quickly). Important is, you can remove cooler.. don't clean glue remains on motherboard any further (to avoid damages).

Solution
Alcohol does nothing but yet I have been using it for years to get rid of super glue okay....

Ok, I stand corrected if that's the case.. it didn't really work last time I tried, though.
Glad you share your experience, which might help OP and many others.
If you use a cotton swab and dip it in alcohol, don't get it dripping wet apply it to the super glue let it sit for a moment in you case since you are doing this in a PC be carful of the components obviously but let it sit for about a minute and role swab over it.