[SOLVED] Removing the GPU from the Motherboard ripped of the socket

Dec 4, 2021
Hello There,

Can anyone educate me if the CPU still works with a ripped GPU socket from the motherboard and the threads (i.e. Aluminum / Copper ) exposed ?

I tried to separate the GPU from motherboard. I have unlocked the clip which holds the GPU on the motherboard. But still it ripped off.

Solution
Hello There,

Can anyone educate me if the CPU still works with a ripped GPU socket from the motherboard and the threads (i.e. Aluminum / Copper ) exposed ?

I tried to separate the GPU from motherboard. I have unlocked the clip which holds the GPU on the motherboard. But still it ripped off.
By 'threads' I assume you to mean contacts. Whether it can be saved depends on how bent and mangled they are. If they're straight and even it might be possible...but it's difficult. You have to very carefully slip the socket shell over each and every contact, simultaneously, without bending any of them.

Even then, once on, the next insertion of the GPU should be considered the last. You can try to keep it down when you try to remove it...

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

Make and model of your motherboard? Processor used in your afflicted motherboard? A picture of the affliction would also help us two fold. You can host the image on Imgur and then parse the image link for us to see.

If your motherboard has a secondary PCIe x16 slot then you can drop the GPU in there but for all intents and purposes, it's a good idea to have a thin long, flathead screw driver to disengage the latch that secures the GPU to the slot before tugging the card out of the slot.

Reactions: Vadlamani007
Hello There,

By 'threads' I assume you to mean contacts. Whether it can be saved depends on how bent and mangled they are. If they're straight and even it might be possible...but it's difficult. You have to very carefully slip the socket shell over each and every contact, simultaneously, without bending any of them.

Even then, once on, the next insertion of the GPU should be considered the last. You can try to keep it down when you try to remove it next but you have to assume it will just pull the shell off again. Also, a GPU support is essential now as the shell can no longer support it when the case is vertical. You might try putting dots of epoxy along the length of the shell to hold it down, but that's a bit ghetto IMO.

A picture...maybe several...will help of course. Highest resolution possible, and clearly lit.

If your board has another PCIe x16 you might could use it for a GPU. But you have to be vary careful not to bend and short any contacts on the abandoned socket. It might be better to carefully cut every one off if you choose this approach.

Last edited:
Reactions: Vadlamani007
Solution
Dec 4, 2021
EGLLvkR0Sp1JgnGUBtwrNAJc-F8jLTzGdvH_awTZAI3RNMjm-BoP5-0sre3BuE6EyUYscw=s85
Kh1EIgw5NIv4yZrKCFuHa7fsY2xZHR_IJtzlaKQvqen4OFrnhNgnpWdzGezvjoOvtoSAF-o=s85
Nctpn-uasNhHsFzeTkzUd608ACe5ErlhyktiKE7B0dR8UbbzgRsadnoJLsWJc2ixn9cAWgg=s170

Hello Gentlemen,

Here are the images you've requested for.

Make - Lenovo Idea Centre Y710 cube 15ISH

CPU - I7 - 6700 3.4GHZ

Motherboard - I'm not sure as it's manufactured under Lenovo's license.

However, it's a Mini ITX Motherboard which I could find it on Ali's express Mini ITX Motherboard