Removing Write Protection from a DVD-R

We just installed a writeable DVD drive. I downloaded the most recent
firmware to be certain the driver was up to date, and that wasn't the
problem. In two different programs now, I tried to write to the DVD-R in the
drive and it says it is write protected. I switched to a new disk, just to
be certain the one I was using hadn't been written to, and received the same
message. Any idea how to remove the write protection?

"kurocks" <kurocks@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
| We just installed a writeable DVD drive. I downloaded the most recent
| firmware to be certain the driver was up to date, and that wasn't the
| problem. In two different programs now, I tried to write to the DVD-R in
the
| drive and it says it is write protected. I switched to a new disk, just
| be certain the one I was using hadn't been written to, and received the
same
| message. Any idea how to remove the write protection?

There is no write protection; something else is wrong. Firmware and drivers
are two different things. What are the two programs you've used? What does
Device Manager say about the drive? Are you certain that it's properly
connected, and the jumper is properly set? Are you sure you're using the
right disks (- vs. +)?

Thanks for the reply; the device mgr says its operational. I tried to write
to it with Retrospect Back-Up and Roxio. The installation questions I can't
answer w/out checking w/ someone else. This drive is supposed to write to
DVD-R, +R and RW.

kurocks wrote:
> Thanks for the reply; the device mgr says its operational. I tried to write
> to it with Retrospect Back-Up and Roxio. The installation questions I can't
> answer w/out checking w/ someone else. This drive is supposed to write to
> DVD-R, +R and RW.
>
> "Raymond J. Johnson Jr." wrote:
>

>>"kurocks" <kurocks@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>>| We just installed a writeable DVD drive. I downloaded the most recent
>>| firmware to be certain the driver was up to date, and that wasn't the
>>| problem. In two different programs now, I tried to write to the DVD-R in
>>the
>>| drive and it says it is write protected. I switched to a new disk, just
>>| be certain the one I was using hadn't been written to, and received the
>>same
>>| message. Any idea how to remove the write protection?
>>
>>There is no write protection; something else is wrong. Firmware and drivers
>>are two different things. What are the two programs you've used? What does
>>Device Manager say about the drive? Are you certain that it's properly
>>connected, and the jumper is properly set? Are you sure you're using the
>>right disks (- vs. +)?

You need to verify the installation. Also, have you tried burning a CD
with the drive? The "write protected" message is a little unusual.

Do you have to set the software to write to DVD? I know that Nero has a
setting that switches between DVD and CD. Maybe you need to check her
burning software.

--

Harry Ohrn MS-MVP [Shell/User]
www.webtree.ca/windowsxp

"kurocks" <kurocks@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> We just installed a writeable DVD drive. I downloaded the most recent
> firmware to be certain the driver was up to date, and that wasn't the
> problem. In two different programs now, I tried to write to the DVD-R in
> the
> drive and it says it is write protected. I switched to a new disk, just
> be certain the one I was using hadn't been written to, and received the
> same
> message. Any idea how to remove the write protection?

> We just installed a writeable DVD drive. I downloaded the most recent
> firmware to be certain the driver was up to date, and that wasn't the
> problem. In two different programs now, I tried to write to the DVD-R in the
> drive and it says it is write protected. I switched to a new disk, just to
> be certain the one I was using hadn't been written to, and received the same
> message. Any idea how to remove the write protection?

There are two possibilities:

I use the Roxio software that came with my DVD. Occasionally it gets muddled
and reports a disk as read only when in fact it allowed me to write on it
yesterday. Personally, I feel the error message is cryptic and it's trying
to tell you it has some other problem. Anyhow, typically I resolve that
problem by simply rebooting the machine.

If the problem is that you're not able to write on a disk the first time,
then it's probably not formatted. Start up the Roxio "Drag to Disk" program
and it will show a little disk drive on your screen. Right click on that and
it will give you an option to format the disk. After that, try simply
dragging a file and dropping it on the disk drive and it should write it out
to the disk. At that point things should work for you.

Good luck....

Bill -- (Remove KILLSPAM from my address to use it)

Hello Kurocks.
I am having a similar problem. In fact this is what I have just posted
asking for help.
Have You found any cure for this?
Let me know. Maybe there is something out there destroying our computers.
I have two computers from where my disk drives have been HIJACKED. I’ve
restored both computers to their original state, when I bought them, then I
bought new hard drives, and still, my drives were hijacked again. I can see
the drives in the folder My Computer, but when I insert a disk, any Disk, the
drive spines for a while, then stops. If I try to Open or Explore that drive,
it asks me to insert a disk into that Drive.
I read somewhere that we can enter some fix in the registry that prevents
someone to use or record with that drive.
I don’t know what I did to cause this problem. I move files between my
computers and I am afraid that I have downloaded something that causes this
Problem. I’m also thinking that it has something to do with Musicmatch, from
where I buy and download my music. I am using Windows XP Home, SP2.
I really appreciate any help on this matter, or to ear from someone that has
this problem.
Domingos