Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

My PC, WinXPHome SP2 has 2 HD's,
C with XP
2nd HD partitioned into D,E,F,G,H as a data drive.
The C HD failed, I have replaced it and reinstalled XP but it has named it
J.
How can I rename it C before I reinstall my software?
Any help much appreciated.

Paul Woodsford

Jax

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2002
Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

Hi Paul,

You need to disconnect your 2 nd drive and re-install XP to your "O" drive.
Also, disconnect all peripheral devices except your mouse, keyboard, and
monitor before installing XP.

HTH, JAX

"Paul Woodsford" <paul.woodsford@NO SPAMvirgin.net> wrote in message
> My PC, WinXPHome SP2 has 2 HD's,
> C with XP
> 2nd HD partitioned into D,E,F,G,H as a data drive.
> The C HD failed, I have replaced it and reinstalled XP but it has named it
> J.
> How can I rename it C before I reinstall my software?
> Any help much appreciated.
>
> Paul Woodsford

Gordon

Paul Woodsford wrote:
> My PC, WinXPHome SP2 has 2 HD's,
> C with XP
> 2nd HD partitioned into D,E,F,G,H as a data drive.
> The C HD failed, I have replaced it and reinstalled XP but it has
> named it J.
> How can I rename it C before I reinstall my software?
> Any help much appreciated.
>
> Paul Woodsford

Log on as The Administrator, go to Control Panel-Administrative Tools,
choose Computer management, and go to Disk management. Right click on the
"J" drive, and an option to change drive letter and path should appear.

HTH

Jax

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2002
Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

That doesn't work with the OS drive. There is no internal method for
changing the boot drive letter within XP, with an exception a way that is
far more complicated than re-installing XP.

JAX

"Gordon" <gordonbp1@yahoo.invalid> wrote in message
> Paul Woodsford wrote:
>> My PC, WinXPHome SP2 has 2 HD's,
>> C with XP
>> 2nd HD partitioned into D,E,F,G,H as a data drive.
>> The C HD failed, I have replaced it and reinstalled XP but it has
>> named it J.
>> How can I rename it C before I reinstall my software?
>> Any help much appreciated.
>>
>> Paul Woodsford
>
> Log on as The Administrator, go to Control Panel-Administrative Tools,
> choose Computer management, and go to Disk management. Right click on the
> "J" drive, and an option to change drive letter and path should appear.
>
> HTH

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

Thanks JAX.
You were correct. Cannot change Boot Drive letter in XP.
Did as you suggested and all is well.
Thanks.

"JAX" <slipslide@pop.not> wrote in message
> That doesn't work with the OS drive. There is no internal method for
> changing the boot drive letter within XP, with an exception a way that is
> far more complicated than re-installing XP.
>
> JAX
>
> "Gordon" <gordonbp1@yahoo.invalid> wrote in message
>> Paul Woodsford wrote:
>>> My PC, WinXPHome SP2 has 2 HD's,
>>> C with XP
>>> 2nd HD partitioned into D,E,F,G,H as a data drive.
>>> The C HD failed, I have replaced it and reinstalled XP but it has
>>> named it J.
>>> How can I rename it C before I reinstall my software?
>>> Any help much appreciated.
>>>
>>> Paul Woodsford
>>
>> Log on as The Administrator, go to Control Panel-Administrative Tools,
>> choose Computer management, and go to Disk management. Right click on the
>> "J" drive, and an option to change drive letter and path should appear.
>>
>> HTH

Jax

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2002
Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

Glad to help, JAX