I have a series of photo files in the format IMG_XXXX where XXXX is a 4-digit
number. I'd like to rename the files using simply the 4 digit number. I
need to preserve the existing 4 digit number; not just renumber the files
sequentially. Any type of "search and replace" function for file names or
other shortcuts to accomplish this? Thx!

"JonathanRS" <JonathanRS@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have a series of photo files in the format IMG_XXXX where XXXX is a
>4-digit
> number. I'd like to rename the files using simply the 4 digit number.
> need to preserve the existing 4 digit number; not just renumber the
> files
> sequentially. Any type of "search and replace" function for file
> names or
> other shortcuts to accomplish this? Thx!

You could run:

%windir%\hh.exe C:\WINDOWS\Help\ntcmds.chm

to read up on the commands you enter in a DOS shell, like the "ren"
command. Note their description of using wildcards in the filename2
parameter.

Or you could search Microsoft's support knowledge to find related
articles, like http://support.microsoft.com/kb/320167, which also
mention using the "ren" DOS command with wildcards.

I have a problem that resembles this. I would like to rename files in the
format
"nn song title.mp3" to "nnn song title.mp3" where the length of "nnn song
title" is not greater than 30 characters and nnn remains in the same sequence
as nn. Is there a program somewhere that can handle multiply forms of
renaming and renumbering?