I have a situation that looks like a corrupted profile. Is there a way i can
rename a profile?

What it the best method for creating a new profile for a user in a domain
enviornment and not chance the loss of data?

Thanks in advance.

Rename the profile of the Domain User.
For example for the user account named 'lipman'..

Original profile...
C:\Documents and Settings\lipman\

Rename the profile to...
C:\Documents and Settings\lipman.bak\

Have the user logon on again and a new profile will be created. If things work correctly,
have the user logoff. Now you logon as the as the administrator or a user with
administrative rights and copy the files and directories from...
C:\Documents and Settings\lipman.bak\

C:\Documents and Settings\lipman\

* EXCEPT *
DON'T COPY - C:\Documents and Settings\lipman.bak\ntuser.*
Which is the user's Registry which is probably the corrupted aspect.

--
Dave

"Michael McGinley" <michaelfmcginley@hotmail.com> wrote in message
| I have a situation that looks like a corrupted profile. Is there a way i can
| rename a profile?
|
| What it the best method for creating a new profile for a user in a domain
| enviornment and not chance the loss of data?
|
| Thanks in advance.

Thank you very much for your response David!

Here is my issue, I cannot rename this profile. Even though I am logged in
as an Admin and a seperate user. It gives an error.

Probably some Domain Security Policy!

Thank you again Dave.

> Rename the profile of the Domain User.
> For example for the user account named 'lipman'..
>
> Original profile...
> C:\Documents and Settings\lipman\
>
> Rename the profile to...
> C:\Documents and Settings\lipman.bak\
>
> Have the user logon on again and a new profile will be created. If things
> work correctly,
> have the user logoff. Now you logon as the as the administrator or a user
> with
> administrative rights and copy the files and directories from...
> C:\Documents and Settings\lipman.bak\

> C:\Documents and Settings\lipman\
>
> * EXCEPT *
> DON'T COPY - C:\Documents and Settings\lipman.bak\ntuser.*
> Which is the user's Registry which is probably the corrupted aspect.
>

> --
> Dave
>

> "Michael McGinley" <michaelfmcginley@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> | I have a situation that looks like a corrupted profile. Is there a way i
> can
> | rename a profile?
> |
> | What it the best method for creating a new profile for a user in a
> domain
> | enviornment and not chance the loss of data?
> |
> | Thanks in advance.

It is either a Policy or a file handle is in use in the user's profile.

Reboot into Safe Mode and shutdown as many applications as possible then try to rename the
profile.

Report back the results.

--

| Thank you very much for your response David!
|
| Here is my issue, I cannot rename this profile. Even though I am logged in
| as an Admin and a seperate user. It gives an error.
|
| Probably some Domain Security Policy!
|
| Thank you again Dave.

| > Rename the profile of the Domain User.
| > For example for the user account named 'lipman'..
| >
| > Original profile...
| > C:\Documents and Settings\lipman\
| >
| > Rename the profile to...
| > C:\Documents and Settings\lipman.bak\
| >
| > Have the user logon on again and a new profile will be created. If things
| > work correctly,
| > have the user logoff. Now you logon as the as the administrator or a user
| > with
| > administrative rights and copy the files and directories from...
| > C:\Documents and Settings\lipman.bak\

| > C:\Documents and Settings\lipman\
| >
| > * EXCEPT *
| > DON'T COPY - C:\Documents and Settings\lipman.bak\ntuser.*
| > Which is the user's Registry which is probably the corrupted aspect.
| >

| > --
| > Dave
| >

| > "Michael McGinley" <michaelfmcginley@hotmail.com> wrote in message
| > | I have a situation that looks like a corrupted profile. Is there a way i
| > can
| > | rename a profile?
| > |
| > | What it the best method for creating a new profile for a user in a
| > domain
| > | enviornment and not chance the loss of data?
| > |
| > | Thanks in advance.
| > |
| > |

> It is either a Policy or a file handle is in use in the user's profile.
>
> Reboot into Safe Mode and shutdown as many applications as possible then
> try to rename the
> profile.
>
> Report back the results.
>
> --
> Dave

Also, try making a copy of that folder with a different name.

Then delete the profile (Control Panel--> System --> Advanced --> User
Profiles Settings button)
Let them log back in, and dump the documents, favorites, desktop icons etc
back in.

--
Colin Nash
Microsoft MVP