Renaming C; drive without removing it

Sep 20, 2018
I have an ASUS E200H notebook which has a 35GB SSD which I have now discovered is hard wired on to the motherboard and so I can't remove it. The drive does not have the capacity to to hold Windows 10 and Office 365 and leave enough room for Windows updates (only 3.5 GB free). I have nothing else on it. I have a 1TB external SSD and was hoping to be able to re-name this as C: and then re-instal Windows 10 on it, but I can't find a method of renaming this drive without physically disconnecting the current C: drive. Is there a solution to this problem?

There are "Ways" to do what you want to do but honestly it will be waaaaaay too much of a hasel. Does it have a SD card slot? If so you will be better off buying a big SD Card and then uninstall and then reinstall all your programs there, and then also moving your doc/music/desktop etc

USAFRet

Titan

Firstly...no, you cannot rename or redesignate the C drive.
Second...no, you can't use that external as the OS drive

About all you can do is reinstall the applications on that external. No, you can't just "move" them.
Uninstall, and reinstall, selecting Custom, and telling the application(s) where to install.

You can also relocate your Libraries. Doc/Music/Video/etc.
Win 7 & 8: http://www.tomshardware.com/faq/id-1834397/ssd-redirecting-static-files.html
Win 8.1 & 10: http://www.tomshardware.com/faq/id-2024314/windows-redirecting-folders-drives.html

Ultimately, though...that 32GB drive in it is a major limiting factor. I have an Asus Transformer with a similar size drive.
It is pretty much only good for a web browser and other trivial uses.

Sep 20, 2018
Thanks all. I'm not too surprised by the negative responses. One major problem of course is that Microsoft do not provide the facility to instal Office 365 on anything other than C:. This is the ONLY programme I want to instal. I think I'll have to lash out on a new laptop!