renaming files becoming unusable?

AJ

i'm running windows 2000 2nd edition, and anytime i save
anything no matter what it is i go to rename the file and
it becomes unusaable? its like it changes the file
extension for whatever reason? any1 know what is going
on here that can help me out?

Need more info. First, there's no W2k Second Edition - there's Win98 Second
Edition. Which one are you using? What service pack level on W2k Pro, if
you're using that? (SP4 is the latest).

More detail about your symptoms might help you get an answer in here. As in,
you have file.doc and you try to rename it to file2.doc in Windows
Explorer - what happens?

aj wrote:
> i'm running windows 2000 2nd edition, and anytime i save
> anything no matter what it is i go to rename the file and
> it becomes unusaable? its like it changes the file
> extension for whatever reason? any1 know what is going
> on here that can help me out?

sorry i have windows 2000 sp4, but i download a music file
or save a picture and then go to rename the song or
picture and then i can't use them anymore. it changes the
file type or something but why would it do that?

Explorer|Tools|Folder Options|View "Hide extensions for known file types"
You probably have this box checked and when you rename the file that appears
to have no extension you are in fact removing the extension, hence the
operating system no longer knows the file type and it's application
association.

--
Regards,

Microsoft Certified Professional
Microsoft MVP [Windows]
http://www.microsoft.com/protect

| sorry i have windows 2000 sp4, but i download a music file
| or save a picture and then go to rename the song or
| picture and then i can't use them anymore. it changes the
| file type or something but why would it do that?

nope, checked it and that option isn't selected. thanks
for the help, any more ideas?

newsgroup.
>Microsoft Certified Professional
>Microsoft MVP [Windows]
>http://www.microsoft.com/protect

>| sorry i have windows 2000 sp4, but i download a music
file
>| or save a picture and then go to rename the song or
>| picture and then i can't use them anymore. it changes
the
>| file type or something but why would it do that?
>

>.

What was the filename before and after? Check that you didn't change or
otherwise remove the extension.

--
Regards,

Microsoft Certified Professional
Microsoft MVP [Windows]
http://www.microsoft.com/protect

| nope, checked it and that option isn't selected. thanks
| for the help, any more ideas?

MaddenNFSave6520286700.sps this is the name of the file
before i rename it. I want to rename it to madden 2004
year 09. but i get a message saying that if you change a
file name extension, the file becomes unusable. do you
still want to change. yes or no. i always click no. now
when i ran windows 98 i never had any problems renaming
files. how come i'm having problems here on 2000? i
thought that mayb it was cause i wasn't the administrator
but i am. so thats not it. i'm completely lost on this
one. oh yeah plus on 98 i could change that file to want
i want now and there was no problem.

newsgroup.
>Microsoft Certified Professional
>Microsoft MVP [Windows]
>http://www.microsoft.com/protect

>| nope, checked it and that option isn't selected. thanks
>| for the help, any more ideas?
>

>.

well for whatever reason i have to put the extension on
after whatever i name it too. i dunno mayb thats
something new for 2000 over 98. i dunno but i can get the
file to rename if i put the .whatever behind it. so
thanks for your help. maybe i'll be back again with more
questions.

You can rename the file just don't change or otherwise remove the extension.

--
Regards,

Microsoft Certified Professional
Microsoft MVP [Windows]
http://www.microsoft.com/protect

| MaddenNFSave6520286700.sps this is the name of the file
| before i rename it. I want to rename it to madden 2004
| year 09. but i get a message saying that if you change a
| file name extension, the file becomes unusable. do you
| still want to change. yes or no. i always click no. now
| when i ran windows 98 i never had any problems renaming
| files. how come i'm having problems here on 2000? i
| thought that mayb it was cause i wasn't the administrator
| but i am. so thats not it. i'm completely lost on this
| one. oh yeah plus on 98 i could change that file to want
| i want now and there was no problem.

Explorer|Tools|Folder Options|View and try checking the box for "Hide
extensions for known file types"

--
Regards,

Microsoft Certified Professional
Microsoft MVP [Windows]
http://www.microsoft.com/protect

| well for whatever reason i have to put the extension on
| after whatever i name it too. i dunno mayb thats
| something new for 2000 over 98. i dunno but i can get the
| file to rename if i put the .whatever behind it. so
| thanks for your help. maybe i'll be back again with more
| questions.

> MaddenNFSave6520286700.sps this is the name of the file
> before i rename it. I want to rename it to madden 2004
> year 09. but i get a message saying that if you change a
> file name extension, the file becomes unusable. do you
> still want to change. yes or no. i always click no. now
> when i ran windows 98 i never had any problems renaming
> files. how come i'm having problems here on 2000? i
> thought that mayb it was cause i wasn't the administrator
> but i am. so thats not it. i'm completely lost on this
> one. oh yeah plus on 98 i could change that file to want
> i want now and there was no problem.

If you're seeing the file extension .sps, Dave's advice to check your folder
view options was spot on. Tools, folder options, view - make sure that 'hide
file extensions for known file types' is either enabled or disabled, as you
wish. I always leave it disabled because I want to see the full file name -
and when I rename a file I make sure I leave the extension alone or retype
it properly.