[SOLVED] Rendering shadowplay videos

silver085

Reputable
Oct 28, 2019
Hello, from what I have read, shadowplay already records in lossy format, but if I want to render the videos to further reduce file size, should I render with the source codec (h264) or to a new h265?

Videos are recored in mp4 1080p 30 fps and 50k bitrate and I don't want to upload them anywhere. These will stay on my disk, I just want to reduce file size without further decreasing quality.

Solution
Is it not strange that the bitrate was lowered from 50k to 22 but there's really no difference in quality ?
It comes down to duplicate frames (often keyframes used for calculating bit placement) in the raw uncompressed capture, and the science of how modern video codecs work. They are designed just like audio codecs, to remove the least noticeable content. These differences are not noticeable to the average eye/ear, but put them under considerable zoom and you'll see it. It also depends of course regarding video, what size of screen you're viewing it on.
Try using handbrake. It's a compressor that can reduce filesize without removing too much quality. You have full control of how much quality is lost. I use to to compress my exported edited videos.

Also you need a special codec for h265, you have to see if your GPU supports that codec. And to play it you'll need to install plugins for programs like VLC.

I use Avidemux with x264 and Two pass Average Bitrate compression. The results are very good. It only has basic effects like fade in/out, but being as streamlined as it is also means it compresses faster than full featured editors.

I've tried handbrake but the one thing I didn't like about it is it will make the videos you compress with it darker.

silver085

Reputable
Oct 28, 2019
Forget what you read,do some testing on your own, reduce the bitrate in shadowplay until you can start to actually see any difference.
To convert your videos h.265 is better since it allows better quality at the same size but it also takes a lot longer unless you convert it with the help of an i/GPU.
Should I look for any specific video converter from h.264 to h.265 or anything is okay as long as it has h.265 codec available? Will Brorsoft Video Converter be alright?

Should I look for any specific video converter from h.264 to h.265 or anything is okay as long as it has h.265 codec available? Will Brorsoft Video Converter be alright?
They all use the same codec so the only difference is how much control you have over the settings used,if your soft has all the settings you need then that's all you need.
I'm pretty partial towards this dudes command line apps because you have very fine control on pretty much every setting every codec supports.
https://rigaya34589.blog.fc2.com/blog-category-16.html

silver085

Reputable
Oct 28, 2019
They all use the same codec so the only difference is how much control you have over the settings used,if your soft has all the settings you need then that's all you need.
I'm pretty partial towards this dudes command line apps because you have very fine control on pretty much every setting every codec supports.
https://rigaya34589.blog.fc2.com/blog-category-16.html

I have tested the one I mentioned on a 1:59 min video which weights 700 mb. I set codec to h.265, size to original, bitrate to original and frame rate to 30. Converted file has 22k bitrate and weights 319mb and I have compared both videos and can't really see any difference, so Im guessing it's working as intended? Is it not strange that the bitrate was lowered from 50k to 22 but there's really no difference in quality ?

Is it not strange that the bitrate was lowered from 50k to 22 but there's really no difference in quality ?
It comes down to duplicate frames (often keyframes used for calculating bit placement) in the raw uncompressed capture, and the science of how modern video codecs work. They are designed just like audio codecs, to remove the least noticeable content. These differences are not noticeable to the average eye/ear, but put them under considerable zoom and you'll see it. It also depends of course regarding video, what size of screen you're viewing it on.

Solution