Renegade R2 SSDs Ships, 256 GB Version Soon

Status
Not open for further replies.

ominous prime

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2009
[citation][nom]acecombat[/nom]Should of been "$1 per 1g". Still need that edit button Toms![/citation]

They definitely need an edit, these SSD's just seem too expensive to rationalize the cost/performance and put one in my rig. I'll wait until their mainstream and put that money into a couple 1tb storage drives.

But these are great for the super ultra rich enthusiast. Who simply has no time to let things load.

superblahman123

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2009
This is for those "on the go" types, those who sport hiking, mountain climbing, scuba diving, base jumping, and spelunking while keeping their hard drive in their pocket you silly people. This isn't for "standard" use ;-)

superblahman123

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2009
By the way, pureSilicon are the same guys that make the 1TB SSD for the ASUS Lamborghini laptop, they're bound to make a 1TB version of this too. pureSilicon sounds like some good people to get to know ;-)

wira020

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2009
Based on comments made by pureSilicon founder and CEO Jason Breakstone, the SSDs are tailored for defense, military, industrial, and government markets that require high-performance and rugged storage solutions. "Renegade R2 is designed to operate in the harshest conditions," he said.

mayb we could use this inside bulletproof kevlar in emergency... for added safety...

is that a typo or do they really sell 4gb and 8 gb? it wouldnt even fit a proper OS... even some games surpasses that...

G

Got a long ways to go before I'm willing to shell out for an SSD drive.

Currently I'm only paying anywhere from 8¢ to 10¢ per GB and that's for a 1-TB SATA II hard drive.

If they can get the price per GB down to like say 17¢ to 15¢ per GB or less, then I would be willing to shell out the cash for a Good SSD drive.

Mysteic

Distinguished
Apr 15, 2009
I guess this will make movies where hackers break in the military computer and download like 8000 TB of data in 2 minutes more believable. Lets all be honest, military tech goes into weapons and vehicles not their PC's. Supercomputers on use HDD for backups and booting.

acecombat

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2009
[citation][nom]wira020[/nom]is that a typo or do they really sell 4gb and 8 gb? it wouldnt even fit a proper OS... even some games surpasses that...[/citation]
Well for starters, I doubt that the military etc. would use it for games. Secondly for a military or commercial purpose, they use slimline OS's with very little overhead, some are based on stripped down *nix and others are proprietry, but regardless, generally only consume a very small amount.

G

[citation][nom]acecombat[/nom]Should of been "$1 per 1g". Still need that edit button Toms![/citation]
They have an Edit, just find this article in the forums!

G

[citation][nom]Mysteic[/nom]I guess this will make movies where hackers break in the military computer and download like 8000 TB of data in 2 minutes more believable. Lets all be honest, military tech goes into weapons and vehicles not their PC's. Supercomputers on use HDD for backups and booting.[/citation]
Military also has a lot of research facilities, like in the Antarctics, or under ground to test, measure and research environments.
This, much like the NASA with research in space;
The drives that store this data in the past always have been slower FLASH chips in the likes of a computer's BIOS chip.
It works fine, but is very slow, and limited in space.
Thanks to the modernization of this technology, they can now store billions of bits of data on the fly, even in the roughest, coldest, hottest, or most vibrating/shocking environments possible (eg in measuring equipment close to an impact crater or point of impact of an explosion, where regular HDD's would crash).

liquidsnake718

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2009
Too expencive for now but the 256GB is a decent amount already for a SSD... I wish they posted the prices here... I guess I would get it at $1/1gig.... but I doubt that will happen anytime soon and more likely be in late 2010 for that ratio.... when SSDs are more common and already close to mainstream...

rbarone69

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2006
[citation][nom]wira020[/nom] ...and rugged storage solutions. "Renegade R2 is designed to operate in the harshest conditions," he said.mayb we could use this inside bulletproof kevlar in emergency... [/citation]

I bet it wouldnt survive 10 minutes in my bathroom! mmm burritos

Status
Not open for further replies.