[SOLVED] Renovating an old HP Netbook 2140, wonder if does handle more ram?

Euroman28

Reputable
Jan 23, 2020
I am on my summer break and found an old HP netbook from 2009, the HP Netbook 2140. I got it working by buying a new battery, and got into the machine by removing three screws and have replaced the very sloooooow 160 GB HDD with a Kingston 480 GB SSD.

The machine runs 200 pin, 2 GB DDR2 ram which accordering the company specs is the maximum.

https://www.cnet.com/products/hp-2140-mini-note-series/specs/

However I did a google search and found this Microsoft answers link here (in regards to the CPU):

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us...4-gb-ram/6012d82d-2c59-4ef0-b2f9-0426d5b47a11

And scrolling down in the post one guy writes.

"
JED43Replied on March 2, 2017
No, Not exactly, It will only recognize 3.5 Gigs of RAM in 32 Bit Versions of Windows XP, 7, 8 or 10. If Ubuntu, Apple, Apache Server or Windows Server is installed, maybe the 4 gigs and higher will be recognized. This processor according to Intel Specs, Does not have any 64 bit instructions. This Intel Atom Processor (N270) is strictly, a 32 Bit Processor. 64 bit Versions of Windows will reject this processor (N270) on Installation or after Imaging the PC."

He claims that be machine does infact recognize 3.5 GB of 4 GB module. Regardless of the official HP specs.

Any thoughts?

Last edited:
Solution
Couldn't find info on memory limit for the Intel Atom N270
if HP states it's 2gb then the processor will most likely limit usage up to 2gb..
although it's correct that 32bit of Windows will only recognise 3.5 GB of maximum memory..

I'd say keep the 2 GB stick.. can't be too sure about how this particular system will react to a 4 GB stick so better safe than sorry!
Jul 2, 2020
if HP states it's 2gb then the processor will most likely limit usage up to 2gb..
although it's correct that 32bit of Windows will only recognise 3.5 GB of maximum memory..

I'd say keep the 2 GB stick.. can't be too sure about how this particular system will react to a 4 GB stick so better safe than sorry!

Solution

Euroman28

Reputable
Jan 23, 2020

Thank you for your reply. You mean maybe the system will not boot?