Renting a Remanufactured HP 840 G1 i5 EliteBook for Business and basic gaming.

Oct 11, 2018
I am considering renting a Remanufactured HP 840 G1 i5 EliteBook, which looks like an amazing Ultrabook. I need it mostly for work, as I travel allot and need something light but with a good battery life, but I would also like it for basic gaming.

Is this a good unit to rent?

I saw one for rent on https://www.c2kit.co.uk/product/remanufactured-hp-840g1-i5-elitebook/

Also what upgrades would be advisable?

Thanks

USAFRet

Titan
Not especially good for gaming. A pretty basic office type machine.

4GB RAM, integrated graphics...you won't be doing any significant gaming on it.

Rent @ £20.00 Per Month ?
How long to do you plan on keeping this?
I'm seeing them for sale at Amazon for $240.

Upgrades? None that it does not come with.

Oct 11, 2018

Hi USARet

Thanks for your reply and Advice, I did look on Amazon first and the ones I saw where refurbished not Remanufactured. I bought a refurbished unit a couple of years ago and when it arrived it really looked like it had been used, so thought I would get a remanufactured one this time around, they say is LikeNew. The gaming does worry me a bit, but not that I am a heavy gamer but it is nice to zone out from time to time. Again thanks for your advice.

USAFRet

Titan

Refurb vs Reman is a mutable concept. Pretty interchangeable.
Primarily, it depends on who is doing it, not what they call it.

Gaming? Not much beyond simple Flash games.

g-unit1111

Titan
MERGED QUESTION
Question from bigsimple : "Renting VS Buying Remanufactured Laptops"

I'd *HEAVILY* advise against renting - because it's almost the same thing as "rent to own" which as we all know can be a major hose job. Because in the long run you'll end up spending way more than you would think on a device and when you go to sell it or offload it, you won't get back that money. Especially on remanufactured laptops when they're already obsolete out of the box. I've done the math on tons of different rent to own scenarios and it never works out for you, always works against you. Renting to own means you'll end up spending 3 times as much on the equipment as you would if you had just bought it outright. IMO, that is a bad deal no matter which way you look at it.

And the reason I say that is when you're spending money on equipment for business, that's always one of the biggest overhead expenses you can have. And if you go the rental route, that means that if you spend x number of dollars on that rental every month, then it will actually hurt your bottom line. Buying may not seem like a good idea in the short run but in the long run it will be better than paying more for obsolete equipment in the long run. Especially when we're talking a situation where spending 2 - 3 times more on the same equipment will hurt your bottom line and your profit margins.