[SOLVED] Reoccuring GPU driver issue

Ticktimetim1250

Honorable
Jan 28, 2014
Currently, for the past 3 weeks, I have had the same issue come up. What happens is I will be playing a game then I will get artifacts for a second and a crash. That causes me to turn off my pc with the power button. Or I will get a BSOD. (Driver irql not less or equal (nvlddmkm.sys) that is just the latest error but I have gotten ones that say other things. Then after that crash, I will try to play games and have the same issue within 5 minutes of gameplay. Eventually, the pc will BSOD and not turn back on. After restarting I can make it into safe mode and uninstall the graphic's driver and the pc will come back on after restarting. Then I reinstall the graphics driver and have no issues for about a week then the same thing will happen again about a week later.

(nothing overclocked)
Specs:
i5 6600k
RTX 2070
16gb corsair ram (2x8) + Kingston ram (2x4) (Total 24gb) - ddr4
gigabyte gaming 3 h170 mobo
Corsair rm750x PSU
1tb western digital HDD
250 GB Samsun 850 Evo

-I have made no changes to this setup in the past 4 months and worked fine for the longest time.
-I am using the latest GPU drivers
-This issue normally starts when playing games that are graphically intense (bf5 or modded Skyrim)
-Temps on the CPU never pass 60c and GPU never goes past 72c

What I have tried so far
+Testing the ram of the pc by taking them out and testing each one individually and all together
+Doing a clean install of the GPU drivers
+Refresh of windows, which means it keeps settings and personal files( I did this the first time I had the issue since I didn't realize it was the GPU driver causing the problem

Thanks for the help

Solution
I will get artifacts for a second and a crash.
That related to the GPU, the GPU driver, PSU, or overheat.
Because you already try to reinstall the driver, and monitor the temp, so
  1. you should test the rtx 2070 in other PC, or test the PC with other GPU, in this way you will know the rtx 2070 has problem or not.
  2. Try other PSU, or check the PSU +3.3V, +5V, and the +12V in the BIOS, something in the PC heath monitor or hardware monitor section, you want to see these voltages are within +/- 5% range, other wise the PSU has problem. For example , +3.3V, you should get the readings within +3.15V to +3.45V.
  3. May consider to update the BIOS, if the MB does not have the newer one. But keep in mind, you may or may not brick the...
I will get artifacts for a second and a crash.
  1. you should test the rtx 2070 in other PC, or test the PC with other GPU, in this way you will know the rtx 2070 has problem or not.
  2. Try other PSU, or check the PSU +3.3V, +5V, and the +12V in the BIOS, something in the PC heath monitor or hardware monitor section, you want to see these voltages are within +/- 5% range, other wise the PSU has problem. For example , +3.3V, you should get the readings within +3.15V to +3.45V.
  3. May consider to update the BIOS, if the MB does not have the newer one. But keep in mind, you may or may not brick the MB, if you don't do it right.

Solution

Ticktimetim1250

Honorable
Jan 28, 2014
  3. May consider to update the BIOS, if the MB does not have the newer one. But keep in mind, you may or may not brick the MB, if you don't do it right.
I don't have a way of testing the GPU in another computer, but what makes me believe that it is not a GPU problem is the fact I can play games or graphically demanding games with no performance issues or crashing for about a week or so before the problem begins again.

PSU voltages for +3.3, +5V, and +12V are in the +/-5% range. It is less than 1% so that doesn't seem like an issue

I do have the latest bios installed