Reolace HDD with SSD, with Optane module in system

stevenlyall

Prominent
Feb 7, 2018
I've replaced system HDDs with SSDs before, with no problem, but am having real difficulty with my new Dell, which has an Optane module.

I disabled Optane and booted from a USB downloaded from Dell with Factory OS. I was sure my SSD was the only hard-drive installed.

The OS build reached 75% and failed, with little more info than 'something went wrong'. This happened twice.

I put everything back as it was, and re-enabled the Optane. To my surprise, some files I'd left on the SSD were untouched. This made me think that the OS was perhaps directed to the Optane module, and failed because it's so small.

Does anyone have similar experience?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Solution

Disable Optane, turn off the system and remove the...

jacobweaver800

Respectable
Dec 15, 2017

Disable Optane, turn off the system and remove the optane drive itself and try again with the ssd.

Solution

jacobweaver800

Respectable
Dec 15, 2017

No problem, it could also be a block from Intel themselves seeing as Optane was meant to speed up old slow hard drives not SSD's, also your not going to notice an improvement with an Optaned ssd over a normal ssd, its been tested.

stevenlyall

Prominent
Feb 7, 2018
Agreed - I wouldn't have ordered Optane if it had been an option, it just came with the bundle. I may even leave the module out. I was delighted with SSD in my old computer, and am sure I will be delighted with it in my new one - when I get it working. Thanks....

jacobweaver800

Respectable
Dec 15, 2017

You can always sell the Optane module or use it in a different Optane ready board.

jacobweaver800

Respectable
Dec 15, 2017

Good, the system may have been reading the Optane module as an M.2 drive or something and tried to install it to there. If you want you can put the Optane Module back in, but you wont notice a difference since SSD's are really fast.

stevenlyall

Prominent
Feb 7, 2018
In the end, I did reinstall and enable Optane, just for completeness. I agree that there is no noticeable difference relative to the SSD, which is running superbly. Many thanks for the auto-defragment tip - now disabled for the SSD.

jacobweaver800

Respectable
Dec 15, 2017

LinusTechTips tested running optane with an SSD and there was no improvement at all, but it does massively speed up a hard drive.

jacobweaver800

Respectable
Dec 15, 2017

Yes it does accelerate HDD's very well, but it could be slowing your SSD depending on if the SSD is hooked up through Sata 6gb/s or not.