Repair a dead power supply without replacing

Gee Bee

Honorable
Jan 16, 2014
i thought it maybe cost of replacement, but i could be wrong. Somme folk enjoy a challenge and believe me without personal know how this would be a challenge even if you could connect with someone that skilled here on Tom's.

USAFRet

Titan
Mar 16, 2013
That all depends on whats wrong with it.

Tools?
Screwdriver set
Soldering iron
Multimeter
Troubleshooting skills

But for a PSU...if you don't know what you're doing, 'fixing' can be far more dangerous than 'replacing'.

Depends on what died. At the minimum you'll need a soldering iron, and probably some new caps, fuses, and possibly the right FETs.

Almost always not worth doing.

Also remember that there's upwards of 300V in there, which is not a good thing to get in the way of. Unless you really know your way around electronics, I strongly suggest not opening it.

Mains voltage electricity can seriously harm or kill you. I don't suggest messing with it to save ~$40.

Gee Bee

Honorable
Jan 16, 2014
i thought it maybe cost of replacement, but i could be wrong. Somme folk enjoy a challenge and believe me without personal know how this would be a challenge even if you could connect with someone that skilled here on Tom's.

snakebitex

Honorable
Feb 23, 2012
I don't want insult or anything don't take it wrong but by asking what tools you gonna need means you don't know what are you are gonna face. Fixing a PSU for some people especially for electronics geeks is easy staff (depends on the brand and what kind of PSU is.. some are not even fixable) . Fixing a PSU by guide is a dangerous task and you can also burn other staff(mobos vga etc...). My 2c opinion is find a person that knows the correct process or RMA it or buy a new one. Personally I have fixed some but if it was possible to replace it with new one I would have done it.

Lutfij

Titan
There was an article here on Tom's about a kid who got electrocuted and died due to opening up a PSU that was unused for about ~8+ years. Apparently the capacitors in the PSU yet held their charge and was enough to kill the boy.

IMHO , repairing a PSU without proper technical know how is best left for the experts as the cost of new unit is far cheaper than loosing your life over one.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2215200/Teenager-Shawnee-Oklahoma-dies-electrocuted-fixing-computer.html

*can't find reference to how old the machine was though :)

8 years is no chance. I'd have to grab a multimeter and log it, but by memory 30 minutes is a long time for a typical electrolytic to retain more than 5% of charge.

They technically retain charge indefinitely, but that's like saying that a bottle left tipped upside-down will always have some water in it - true, but absurdly small amounts.

Delroy Monjo

Honorable
Oct 10, 2013
Yeah, if you want a surprise, just touch one of those giant capacitors in a PSU and see if it was really worth the effort. This is one of those, "If you need to ask, you have no business doing it." things.

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS