[SOLVED] Repair guy did something weird with my hard drive, and now I need to fix it - help?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bkp13

Honorable
Mar 15, 2015
Hi, the backstory (short version) My husband was using one of my computers to work from home during quarantine. He saved everything to the desktop and did not back anything up (!).

So, when Windows 10 blackscreened and stopped functioning, and none of the usual Windows tools to fix it worked. We were trying to do the various fixes that would result in him keeping his files, but nothing worked. Windows Repair, System restore etc. At that point, if it was just for myself, I'd just reinstall Windows but since he didn't back up his files, and I don't know how to retrieve them, we had to call a "repair guy."

We asked the repair guy to retrieve my husband's files and reinstall Windows. You would think that was a very easy task for someone whose job it is. However he took several days (despite many 5 star reviews on Yelp) and kept saying he was "almost there" -- it was a bit worrying.

Well, he finally returned, claimed that we were good to go, except he gave a garbled explanation of how he had "moved Windows to your SSD drive" ( it only has an SSD drive, right? Where everything goes on C, and then there's a D partition for the backup of Windows, right? )

He said, "your C drive looks full but dont worry, I put Windows there. It's faster that way." I didn't know WTF he was talking about, but I figured if it worked during quarantine, fine, I'll worry about setting it up a better way after the pandemic. My kid is supposed to take her AP exams on this computer next week! I was just glad to have it back, with his claim that it's working.

However, it is not working at all, and now I need to be pointed in the right direction to fix it. My husband's files are there on his desktop, he's now backed up what he needs, so now I can start over and try to fix what this guy did -- but I need advice.

When I look at the computer, the files are there, but our programs are not -- no antivirus, no Windows Office, no Acrobat, no SpiderOak, no nothing.

And the storage looks like this:

This PC (C:)
13.4 GB used out of 13.4 GB

Windows (D:)
108 GB used out of 930 GB

What did he do, right?

So in order to do his work, my husband tried to put his Office 365 on there. Nope. Obviously it wouldn't save to C, because C is full, and it wouldn't allow us to change locations in the storage settings, and save to D.

Edited to add: Repair guy replied: He says " The only reason why this is not behaving is because I kept the drive as is. Usually during a resinstall the drive must be cleaned and everything backed up but it doesn't like any remnants of old Windows. I thought we couldmake it work and be able to retain the old structure but it doesn't want to connect like I wished it would...There is no charge for the [second] restore I'm offering because it is part of the same job. I'll justreplace everything fresh and put your files there. All you will have to do is reinstall the programs. I'll have it ready in 2-3 hours."

But if this would have worked the first time, why didn't he do it? None of my programs are there now either, and everything is on the D drive and he made it completely inaccessible.

Does this make sense to anyone?

So...I'm at the level where I am pretty good at following instructions and making my own minor fixes and re-installations, but faced with a problem like this, I have NO idea what the heck is wrong. Can you please point me in the right direction?

Thanks!

Last edited:
Solution
That PC has a 16gb Intel Optane SSD from the factory which is meant to improve hard drive performance by being used for caching. He did not add anything, he simply configured it incorrectly.

You are NOT supposed to install Windows on Intel Optane, hence its small capacity.

I would personally just reinstall Windows onto the Hard Drive with the Intel Optane configured as it should be.
This guide explains how to install windows and configure Intel Optane
https://www.intel.com/content/www/u...3/memory-and-storage/intel-optane-memory.html
You can skip the installation of optane and HDD.

Ralston18

Titan
I do not think that "Repair guy" should be called again. Likely a bit unfair but I do not see any immediate reason to make that call.

Or burn any bridges either.....

Do be aware though that anything you do on the computer could cause further problems and/or loss of data.

Starter link - just read for now:

https://forums.tomshardware.com/faq/how-to-do-a-clean-installation-of-windows-10.3170366/

Very good procedure and should be doable for you.

Plan accordingly and be very sure that all data is backed up and proven to be recoverable and readable.

Again - hold on actually doing a clean install.

There are a couple of very good "Storage" experts within this Forum and I suggest waiting for some additional responses.

In the meantime, update your post to include full hardware specs - especially drive information (makes and models).

bkp13

Honorable
Mar 15, 2015
I asked this over in Storage and got no replies - maybe it's better as a Windows 10 question?

One of my computers blackscreened and wouldn't boot up again while my husband was using it. We tried various repair tools, system restore, tried to repair Windows while keeping files, etc. We didn't totally reinstall Windows because he hadn't backed up all his files.

Well, we gave it to a repair guy, to retrieve the files and reinstall Windows. Simple right?

However he kept it several days, kept saying he was close to a solution (of something that seemed so simple) and when he gave it back to us, most of the files seemed to be there but our programs are not -- not a big deal, I could reinstall those, but the storage looks like this:

And the storage looks like this:

This PC (C:)
13.4 GB used out of 13.4 GB

Windows (D:)
108 GB used out of 930 GB

What did he do, right? All my defaults are to the C drive, and my settings are impossible to change -- the only place it will allow me to save files, no matter how many times I try to change it in Settings to save them to D, is to C and that's full. So I can't download so much as a browser extension, much less all my programs.

At this point, I just want a fresh reinstall of Windows. My husband got his files now, and I just need Windows reinstalled and everything to go to factory defauls. Well I tried F11 but of course that doesn't work.

I need to set this darn thing back to its factory settings, and the way the repair guy did...whatever he did ... I can't even find a way to do that. Any ideas?

Thanks!

bkp13

Honorable
Mar 15, 2015
Hi Ralston,

Thank you kindly for the reply and for these instructions. My husband now has the files he needs (and all my data is already backed up, before this fiasco) So it should be do-able except for the fact that my C drive is now 13.4 GB (roughly the size of a recovery partition, and my D drive (the old recovery partition) is big.

So I think that needs to be addressed before I attempt to reinstall Windows, and I think you're right, I need some kind of storage expert to tell me what might have happened and how to fix that part of it?

I do not think that "Repair guy" should be called again. Likely a bit unfair but I do not see any immediate reason to make that call.

Or burn any bridges either.....

Do be aware though that anything you do on the computer could cause further problems and/or loss of data.

Starter link - just read for now:

https://forums.tomshardware.com/faq/how-to-do-a-clean-installation-of-windows-10.3170366/

Very good procedure and should be doable for you.

Plan accordingly and be very sure that all data is backed up and proven to be recoverable and readable.

Again - hold on actually doing a clean install.

There are a couple of very good "Storage" experts within this Forum and I suggest waiting for some additional responses.

In the meantime, update your post to include full hardware specs - especially drive information (makes and models).

Colif

Win 11 Master
why did he install win 10 on a 13gb partition?

thats just so wrong. You can't leave win 10 like that as it can't breath or update itself. That isn't a fix as its more a strangulation.

Okay, so you have all your files backed up?

What type of PC is it? Home made or brand name? If brand name, what make/model? If homemade, do you know motherboard?
might need to change bios settings to boot off the usb, so if I can find out what you have I can figure out steps to take.

follow this guide: https://forums.tomshardware.com/faq/how-to-do-a-clean-installation-of-windows-10.3170366/

Last edited:

USAFRet

Titan
That is one very sketchy "repair guy".

Please post a screencap of your Disk Management window.
And as above, ALL drives. Make/model/size...

In the interim, do NOT put any sensitive data on this system. No passwords, banking info, stuff like that.

bkp13

Honorable
Mar 15, 2015
Lenovo
IdeaCentre AIO 520

HDD,1TB,7200,DT3,SATA3,STD
HARD DRIVES
Part number 00PC551

16G, M.2, 2280, PCIe 3x2, INT, STD
SOLID STATE DRIVES
Part number 00UP480

So already I learned something. I thought it had one SSD. The repair guy said he moved windows to the little one.

Post make, model, and drive sizes.

USAFRet

Titan
IdeaCenter.
That teeny "SSD" was NOT meant to be a drive in its own right...it is simply cache space for the 1TB HDD.
When it was new, that was all mushed together as a single addressable space. You, the user, had no control over what went where.

The "repair guy" should have known this.
Being clueless, he has attempted to use that 16GB SSD space as an actual Windows drive.
That WILL NOT WORK.
At all.

That PC has a 16gb Intel Optane SSD from the factory which is meant to improve hard drive performance by being used for caching. He did not add anything, he simply configured it incorrectly.

You are NOT supposed to install Windows on Intel Optane, hence its small capacity.

I would personally just reinstall Windows onto the Hard Drive with the Intel Optane configured as it should be.
https://www.intel.com/content/www/u...3/memory-and-storage/intel-optane-memory.html

Reactions: ahmed moh.
Solution

bkp13

Honorable
Mar 15, 2015
Thank you for the help. USAFRet,
I posted the drive info above, and here's the Disk Management window:

The link to the image is here! I can't figure out how to insert it directly
View: https://imgur.com/NgXBJK1

That is one very sketchy "repair guy".

Please post a screencap of your Disk Management window.
And as above, ALL drives. Make/model/size...

In the interim, do NOT put any sensitive data on this system. No passwords, banking info, stuff like that.

bkp13

Honorable
Mar 15, 2015
LOL, thank you! I did figure that he must have done something horribly wrong. Helps to have confirmation. And then he brought it to me in this condition, knowing that my daughter has to take her AP exams on it next week!!!!!

IdeaCenter.
That teeny "SSD" was NOT meant to be a drive in its own right...it is simply cache space for the 1TB HDD.
When it was new, that was all mushed together as a single addressable space. You, the user, had no control over what went where.

Being clueless, he has attempted to use that 16GB SSD space as an actual Windows drive.
That WILL NOT WORK.
At all.

USAFRet

Titan
As suspected.
Completely wrong.

Anyone who gave him 5 stars on Yelp had even less clue than him.
If it were me...Can you give 0.1 Stars?

So, to fix...start over completely.
Without the little Optane thing.
Open up the bottom of the laptop, find that module, and take it OUT.

Then a full wipe and reinstall on the 1TB HDD.
Or preferably...replace the 1TB HDD with a 1TB SATA III SSD. Crucial MX500, around $110.

Either way...a clean install. Full wipe of everything.

Start over.

bkp13

Honorable
Mar 15, 2015
Thank you NightHawkRMX -- appreciate the help. I will try to follow these instructions and see if it works. I'm having a bit of difficulty sorting out which bits of information are relavant to my situation. To my low-level brain, it sounds a little bit like the old Charlie Brown cartoons when the adults are speaking. Remember I can't access any of the files or programs, the way the computer is currently set up. Still, I'm going to try.

bkp13

Honorable
Mar 15, 2015
OK thanks. I'm playing catch-up. So I need to figure out a way to physically remove the tiny drive, and then start over. My kid is supposed to be taking her AP exams on this thing. I doubt that's happening.

As suspected.
Completely wrong.

Anyone who gave him 5 stars on Yelp had even less clue than him.
If it were me...Can you give 0.1 Stars?

So, to fix...start over completely.
Without the little Optane thing.
Open up the bottom of the laptop, find that module, and take it OUT.

Then a full wipe and reinstall on the 1TB HDD.
Or preferably...replace the 1TB HDD with a 1TB SATA III SSD. Crucial MX500, around $110.

Either way...a clean install. Full wipe of everything.

Start over.

bkp13

Honorable
Mar 15, 2015
Thanks so much for the kind reply Colif, in the meantime I did get some helpful replies on the Storage forum which suggested the same as you. Yes he put Windows on the mini drive meant to be the cache for the larger drive.

So...I'm going to try to do this -- my daughter is supposed to be taking her AP exams on it, so I'd better be quick about it haha!

why did he install win 10 on a 13gb partition?

thats just so wrong. You can't leave win 10 like that as it can't breath or update itself. That isn't a fix as its more a strangulation.

Okay, so you have all your files backed up?

What type of PC is it? Home made or brand name? If brand name, what make/model? If homemade, do you know motherboard?
might need to change bios settings to boot off the usb, so if I can find out what you have I can figure out steps to take.

follow this guide: https://forums.tomshardware.com/faq/how-to-do-a-clean-installation-of-windows-10.3170366/

USAFRet

Titan
OK thanks. I'm playing catch-up. So I need to figure out a way to physically remove the tiny drive, and then start over. My kid is supposed to be taking her AP exams on this thing. I doubt that's happening.
If you just want it to work soon, don't bother with the optane.

The PC will be marginally slower this way but it will be in working order in a very short period of time.

I'm not sure if you can just install the OS onto the HDD and ignore the optane. USAFRET may know.

The steps intel has are rather complex I will agree.

bkp13

Honorable
Mar 15, 2015
Thank you, NightHawkRMX, you read my mind. I was going to create the recovery media and then try it without doing anything with the Optane, and then if that didn't work, try it the other way. Just trying to get her up and running for her AP tests. Will report back on whether that worked! I truly appreciate the kind and patient help!

If you just want it to work soon, don't bother with the optane.

The PC will be marginally slower this way but it will be in working order in a very short period of time.

I'm not sure if you can just install the OS onto the HDD and ignore the optane. USAFRET may know.

The steps intel has are rather complex I will agree.

We tried various repair tools, system restore, tried to repair Windows while keeping files, etc. We didn't totally reinstall Windows because he hadn't backed up all his files.

Well, we gave it to a repair guy, to retrieve the files and reinstall Windows. Simple right?
If it were simple one of the things you tried would have fixed it.

IdeaCenter.

That WILL NOT WORK.
At all.
Well at least he knew not to install a fresh version of windows onto the drive with the "lost" files,that's something.
Now all they have to do is to boot up a bootable cloning software and clone the 16Gb drive to the 1Tb drive losing all files (unless partitioning and moving Gb of files sounds appealing) and ending up with a clean system and keeping the 16Gb as a sort of backup to clone whenever they want/need.

bkp13

Honorable
Mar 15, 2015
TerryLaze, thanks! Well, yes at least the way he did things, my husband's non-backed-up files were retrievable. Most of them. This is a lesson (I learned about 10 years ago) on the importance of backing up files, so you can just reinstall Windows yourself if it comes to that, with no harm done. I haven't had much luck with repair people in my area. There was one good guy and he moved out of the area. I don't have any cloning software and I'm not too terribly handy with this stuff (but I deeply appreciate all the suggestions I got from folks today, because if I know what to do, I can follow instructions if it's simple enough). I'm going to create the backup media on a flash drive and just do it that way, because I know I'll succeed. Then I can add all my programs and files. :)

If it were simple one of the things you tried would have fixed it.

Well at least he knew not to install a fresh version of windows onto the drive with the "lost" files,that's something.
Now all they have to do is to boot up a bootable cloning software and clone the 16Gb drive to the 1Tb drive losing all files (unless partitioning and moving Gb of files sounds appealing) and ending up with a clean system and keeping the 16Gb as a sort of backup to clone whenever they want/need.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS