Question Repair HDD (Don't care about the files)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 17, 2019
Hello everyone!

Recently I recovered some files from a dysfunctional HDD. I used a program called "TestDisk" to get to my files and copy them onto a stick. Now that I've got the files on a stick I don't worry about the files that are on the HDD, I just want to repair the HDD. I want to get it to work but I don't quite know how...

I've tried using SeaToolsforWindows and the "Fix all -> short" option but it's stuck at the phase after 100%. I'm currently trying chkdsk e: /f, but I'm not expecting a lot from it...
If anyone has a better method of repairing the HDD, please help me out.

Thank you!

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
Welcome to the forums my friend!

Depends on why it is malfunctioning.

If it failed to the point where data had to be recovered and it is completely not functioning correctly - then there is no software solution to fixing it. And actually repairing it is usually less economical than simply buying a new one :)

Software can't fix a hardware problem.

Sep 17, 2019
Thank you for your replies first of all.

It is not a mechanical failure since I'm not hearing any odd sounds coming from the HDD. I could also recover my files perfectly fine. For some reason, it just doesn't want to show them in file explorer and I can't boot from it.

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
Thank you for your replies first of all.

It is not a mechanical failure since I'm not hearing any odd sounds coming from the HDD. I could also recover my files perfectly fine. For some reason, it just doesn't want to show them in file explorer and I can't boot from it.
That does not mean it isn't mechanical.
A drive can still fire up and sound normal and still be damaged.

Does it appear in Disk Management?

Sep 17, 2019
It is being shown in Disk Management, Diskpart and File explorer. But sadly it doesn't show me the contents of the HDD. When I double click on the Drive in explorer it just tells me "E: is not accesible, the parameter is incorrect". Again, I'm currently doing "chkdsk e: /f" but it is loading for ages...

Sep 17, 2019
Thank you for your replies!

What's funny is the fact that I got the HDD to work, it's pretty slow and it gets 100% Disk Usage. but it does work. It might be because I freshly installed Windows on it and it is missing some of the drivers, or it could be for some other reasons. I'm buying a new one anyway but the PC is still functional.

Good job moderators ;)

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
What's funny is the fact that I got the HDD to work, it's pretty slow and it gets 100% Disk Usage. but it does work. I

This sounds a lot like the behavior of my previous HDD at work. It got slower. It would peg the drive at 100% usage, even for simple things. It got so slow that some software would crash or simply not start up. It never completely died, but was dying, and eventually made my system unusuable (couldn't start up software I needed for the job).

On the plus side, they replaced my HDD with an (admittedly smaller capacity) SSD, so now things feel way better!

Thank you for your replies!

What's funny is the fact that I got the HDD to work, it's pretty slow and it gets 100% Disk Usage. but it does work. It might be because I freshly installed Windows on it and it is missing some of the drivers, or it could be for some other reasons. I'm buying a new one anyway but the PC is still functional.

Good job moderators ;)

Hi, sadly we do not recommend continuing using the drive once it does not pass our diagnostic software. You can replace the drive if it is still under warranty. Here is the link to replace the drive. :)

Reactions: PC Tailor
Status
Not open for further replies.