[SOLVED] Repair install XP in a dual boot XP/WIN10 installation.

peak4

Honorable
Dec 16, 2013
To summarise my problem, I had a dual boot XP/Win10 on a partitioned SSD, with a Biostar motherboard.
The mobo expired, (I've an old thread seeking assistance on that), so I've swapped it for a second hand Intel mobo, but re-used the original video card, HDDs, PSU etc.

Win 10 is clever/modern enough that when I booted it up, I got the normal pale blue Win 10 boot menu, "Start Windows", or " Start Earlier Version of Windows".
No problem when selecting Win10, as it either had the right Intel mobo drivers already, or found and installed them seamlessly via the internet, and now boots OK and works fine.

XP however doesn't; BSOD flashes briefly and auto-reboots, (too fast to read the failure) even though I'm sure I had "auto reboot on failure" disabled in the previous incarnation.

I can select XP from the Win10 boot menu, and interrupt with F8 to get the black XP boot menu, where I can select "Safe Mode" "Safe Mode With Networking" etc. but Safe Mode still BSODs, and re-boots(eventually to the Win10 boot screen, rather than the XP one)

Now I can understand that XP won't have the correct mobo drivers for the replacement Intel board, but how can I install them?
Thanks
Bill

peak4

Honorable
Dec 16, 2013
Thanks Knighthawk, it's an Intel DG35EC, still an LGA755 slot mobo, I purposely re-used the same video card, so I hoped wouldn't be needing different drivers for the video, just to take one thing out of the equation.
I was thinking about an XP repair-install, as I don't want to lose the programs on it, but not sure how to go about it on a Dual Boot system, where it's the earlier OS I want to re-install.
Obviously normal advice on a new system, would be install XP, then Win10 using the latter's boot selection menu.
Equally I don't want to lose the programs I have installed and working, on the Win 10 partition.
Cheers
Bill