repair winME

hello,
is it possible to do a repair of windows ME, just by re-installing ME over
the existing setup ?
thnks
Fred

Fred,

Yes, you can carry out a repair install of Win Me subject to a few caveats
such as not using a recovery CD that as its first action wipes the hard
disk and it is ESSENTIAL that you first
uninstall Internet Explorer 6, if installed, and rename the file
wmploc.dll to wmploc.old if you have Windows Media Player 9 installed. The
reason being that if WMP9's version of wmploc.dll is present during the
reinstall setup will throw up an error mentioning verx and if IE6 is
present Internet Explorer will become a total mess due to the reinstall
attempting to install IE5.5.

You may also want to have a look at Rob McGregor's notes on reinstalling
Win Me which can be found on Noel Paton's site at
http://www.btinternet.com/~winnoel/reinME.htm
--
Mike Maltby MS-MVP
mike.maltby@gmail.com

Fred Flintstone <fred.flintstone@flintstone.dot.net> wrote:

> hello,
> is it possible to do a repair of windows ME, just by re-installing ME
> over the existing setup ?
> thnks
> Fred

ok, thnks
does this means that all the other software will remain in place, without
the need to re-install everything ?
Fred

"Mike M" <No_Spam@Corned_Beef.Only> schreef in bericht
> Fred,
>
> Yes, you can carry out a repair install of Win Me subject to a few caveats
> such as not using a recovery CD that as its first action wipes the hard
> disk and it is ESSENTIAL that you first
> uninstall Internet Explorer 6, if installed, and rename the file
> wmploc.dll to wmploc.old if you have Windows Media Player 9 installed. The
> reason being that if WMP9's version of wmploc.dll is present during the
> reinstall setup will throw up an error mentioning verx and if IE6 is
> present Internet Explorer will become a total mess due to the reinstall
> attempting to install IE5.5.
>
> You may also want to have a look at Rob McGregor's notes on reinstalling
> Win Me which can be found on Noel Paton's site at
> http://www.btinternet.com/~winnoel/reinME.htm
> --
> Mike Maltby MS-MVP
> mike.maltby@gmail.com
>

> Fred Flintstone <fred.flintstone@flintstone.dot.net> wrote:
>
>> hello,
>> is it possible to do a repair of windows ME, just by re-installing ME
>> over the existing setup ?
>> thnks
>> Fred

Fred Flintstone <fred.flintstone@flintstone.dot.net> wrote:

> ok, thnks
> does this means that all the other software will remain in place,
> without the need to re-install everything ?

Yes, that is the purpose of an in-place reinstall. Subject of course to
the caveats I mentioned regarding IE6 and WMP9. Note though that
virtually all if not all system hotfixes will need to be reinstalled
although you won't necessarily be told this when visiting the Windows
Update site due to the system registry not being reset during the
reinstall and thus the entries indicating which patches have been
installed will remain although the files will have reverted to their
earlier versions.

The way to deal with the patch problem is after you have reinstalled Win
Me to use the Belarc Advisor (http://www.belarc.com/free_download.html)
which will help you to identify which patches also need to be reinstalled.
Once you have identified which patches need to be reinstalled you can
download them from the Windows Update Catalogue.
(http://v4.windowsupdate.microsoft.com/catalog/en/default.asp). I would
strongly urge you to install the 290700 hotfix for system restore as a
first priority.
--
Mike Maltby MS-MVP
mike.maltby@gmail.com