[SOLVED] Repairing a 1060 ?

Roddie.the.gamer

Commendable
Feb 22, 2019
so i got my hand on a broken palit 1060 6gb. at first it didnt get detected by system. i cleaned it with some multipurpose spray in hope it would do something and so it did. now when i start it up and open device manager it gets detected as some random vga adapter and after i refresh it gets detected as a 1060 6gb. now i got the problem that i keep getting error 43. from what i find on the internet this is a error where the driver does not communicate properly or at all with the graphics card. so i tried reinstalling the drivers but i still get the same error.

does anyone have a fix for this?
thanks in advance for helping out a fellow gamer

Solution
Actually that psu could be part of the problem. That "650w" psu can't even deliver 450w where it counts as it's 12v output is pathetic( 2 12v rails with a max of 430w) and at that kinda load the regulation and ripple is going to be horrific and will start damaging other components. That PSU is a bad day waiting to happen. Just because it has managed 5 years with out outright damaging something doesn't make it good, it makes you lucky.

So it could just be the GPU is picky and wants stable power, or it's actually damaged beyond a software fix and will require a tech capable of component level troubleshooting and repair to see if a repair is economical or even possible.

Lutfij

Titan
multipurpose spray
I hope you didn't use something akin to WD40. If you did, you should've only worked with isopropyl alcohol. You might want to also state how the GPU was sold to you. If it was sold as damaged, was there any mention of what was wrong with the GPU? It's highly probable that the GPU was used for mining(very likely) and the only place for that GPU is on a shelf for display as an ornament or in the bin.

Make and model of your PSU and it's age, as well as the make and model of your motherboard. You will also need to specify if you're working with other cards in your system.

Reactions: Krotow

Roddie.the.gamer

Commendable
Feb 22, 2019
multipurpose spray
I hope you didn't use something akin to WD40. If you did, you should've only worked with isopropyl alcohol. You might want to also state how the GPU was sold to you. If it was sold as damaged, was there any mention of what was wrong with the GPU? It's highly probable that the GPU was used for mining(very likely) and the only place for that GPU is on a shelf for display as an ornament or in the bin.

Make and model of your PSU and it's age, as well as the make and model of your motherboard. You will also need to specify if you're working with other cards in your system.
as for the multipurpose spray it is just a non conductive lubricant that is easy to wipe of and doesnt leave any coat.
my psu is a ms-tech n650-val v2.3 that has been used for at least 5 years but it works amazing with no problems.
my motherboard is a asrock sli killer x370 its about 1-2 years old
i am working with another gpu in my system, its a gtx 10603gb.
i know for a fact that the card is only used for gaming and that it at some point just randomly stopped giving out a signal

punkncat

Champion
Ambassador
Search YouTube for a channel called TechYesCity. He has a procedure for cleaning parts in general and a pretty good video about trying to bring back a dead GPU. He also uses a multi purpose spray (along with other methods) to clean the cards. Might we worth a watch.
I am not super familiar but it might be worthwhile to (maybe) try a BIOS (re) flash...I mean if the card is broken to a degree that it can't be used it might be worth risking a brick just to see.

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
as for the multipurpose spray it is just a non conductive lubricant that is easy to wipe of and doesnt leave any coat.
my psu is a ms-tech n650-val v2.3 that has been used for at least 5 years but it works amazing with no problems.
my motherboard is a asrock sli killer x370 its about 1-2 years old
i am working with another gpu in my system, its a gtx 10603gb.
i know for a fact that the card is only used for gaming and that it at some point just randomly stopped giving out a signal

Can you show the readout from the load tester and/or oscilloscope you used on this PSU to make such an assertion? I'm quite curious to see the data on voltage regulation and electronic ripple, which you surely must have based on your post.

Reactions: dotas1

Roddie.the.gamer

Commendable
Feb 22, 2019
Can you show the readout from the load tester and/or oscilloscope you used on this PSU to make such an assertion? I'm quite curious to see the data on voltage regulation and electronic ripple, which you surely must have based on your post.
i have no tested them in any such way, i said that it works amazing since it has worked in multiple different builds without any power issues for 5 years . besides that it has been used in builds that comes fairly close to the maximimum power draw, ~600w build and that worked fine less than half a year ago. the reason i say it works amazing is because i have yet to have any issues with it and it works completely how it is supposed to. the graphics card is the problem here, not the other hardware

if you know how to fix the reocurring error 43 then feel free to post a solution, that is the reason why i started this thread, not to talk about if my psu works how it's supposed to

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
i have no tested them in any such way, i said that it works amazing since it has worked in multiple different builds without any power issues for 5 years . besides that it has been used in builds that comes fairly close to the maximimum power draw, ~600w build and that worked fine less than half a year ago. the reason i say it works amazing is because i have yet to have any issues with it and it works completely how it is supposed to. the graphics card is the problem here, not the other hardware

That's not how any of this works. "PC doesn't explode" doesn't mean "works amazing." It's a bit like arguing that anybody who isn't dead has a heart that "works amazing." You asserted something you can't possibly know to be true.

Diagnosing a PC problem requires honesty, transparency, and a willingness to look at all possible issues. Since none of these are present, all I can do is wish you good fortune.

Roddie.the.gamer

Commendable
Feb 22, 2019
That's not how any of this works. "PC doesn't explode" doesn't mean "works amazing." It's a bit like arguing that anybody who isn't dead has a heart that "works amazing." You asserted something you can't possibly know to be true.

Diagnosing a PC problem requires honesty, transparency, and a willingness to look at all possible issues. Since none of these are present, all I can do is wish you good fortune.
What you are saying here is of no use to me or anyone else, my Psu works as it should. I bought a broken Gpu and put it in a working system. None of the parts in the system I put it in were broken and there is no reason to think that if you put a broken Gpu in a working system that the rest of the system suddenly stopped working as they should. There is something wrong with the Gpu not the Psu. Unless you have anything to say that helps me fix the error43 issue, please don't respond. you aren't doing anyone a favor by doing so

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
What you are saying here is of no use to me or anyone else, my Psu works as it should. I bought a broken Gpu and put it in a working system. None of the parts in the system I put it in were broken and there is no reason to think that if you put a broken Gpu in a working system that the rest of the system suddenly stopped working as they should. There is something wrong with the Gpu not the Psu. Unless you have anything to say that helps me fix the error43 issue, please don't respond. you aren't doing anyone a favor by doing so

You have misconceptions how any of this works. But again, you clearly don't wish to have help, so again, I wish you good fortune in resolving your problem.

bignastyid

Titan
Actually that psu could be part of the problem. That "650w" psu can't even deliver 450w where it counts as it's 12v output is pathetic( 2 12v rails with a max of 430w) and at that kinda load the regulation and ripple is going to be horrific and will start damaging other components. That PSU is a bad day waiting to happen. Just because it has managed 5 years with out outright damaging something doesn't make it good, it makes you lucky.

So it could just be the GPU is picky and wants stable power, or it's actually damaged beyond a software fix and will require a tech capable of component level troubleshooting and repair to see if a repair is economical or even possible.

Solution