Repairing a Motherboard with broken CPU pins?

Elf_Knight

Honorable
Nov 9, 2013
Severals months ago I perchased a motherboar from PC World for my gaming computer - the LGA 1150 motherboard. It worked fine but on accident I ben some of the pins when I put the cpu in wrong (the i5 4690k). Unfortunately in my haste to build the PC I didn't check that it was in the right way and put the CPU upside down as a result some pins got bent because I was too rough with the CPU and the motherboard being a newtime PC builder. This was my first attempt to build a PC recyclnig old parts and new parts and did not go well. The CPU is fine but the motherboard is not and so I was wondering if it is possible to get the pins fixed if I take it to a computer repair shop nearby.

Many thanks in advance!

the problem with the LGA socket is the pins need to be at just the right angle to work.

if we are talking about 1 or 2 pins i'd be tempted to talk you through how to do it yourself. unfortunately, from what you said, it sounds like it's most of the pins that are bent.

i'd say it's completely unrecoverable at this point.

Now if it is only a couple of pins we're talking about you can use a very fine sewing needle or some very very small tweezers, a magnifying glass, and a very steady hand to correct the bent pins... however, from how you related this went down i doubt anyone could fix this.

its not too hard if you are patient--no guarantee its fixable but wont cost you to try it

just take your time you dont want to snap or pull right out a pin

and once you get them all upright thats when you run something the correct width between the rows of pins to align them

its pretty easy to see when they are aligned just by looking at the pins from different angles

Elf_Knight

Honorable
Nov 9, 2013
Thanks everyone very much for the help! However I don't want to risk damaging it any further. There are quite a few pins that got bent not one or two. Thus I will take it to a professional. Chances are the warantee will cover that. Do you think it would? Thank you all very much!!

no the warranty wont cover it

taking it to a shop may cost too much--certainly will if you go to pc world

i would suggest buying stuff from some where like scan.co.uk they offer a couple of pounds insurance against damaging stuff when building/installing

great value for peace of mind if you arent used to building pcs

some motherboard manufacturers probably will cover it, the place you purchased it probably will not. you'll likely need to pay them for the shipping because it was your mistake, and likely have to wait 4 weeks or so, but they probably will replace the board for you.

i don't know, asus has replaced a few motherboards i flat blew up when overclocking, even told them that's what i was doing with it. so there are motherboard manufacturers who will cover self inflicted damage. (i did have to pay for shipping due to it being my fault though)

mlga91

Admirable
Dont waste your money taking it to another person if you cant do it yourself, buy another motherboard, there is no guarantee that the person that tries to fix it will definitely fix it, and most of them will charge you for trying.

thats nice to know--especially since i am still on a asus z68 board--maybe they could try the manufacturer directly as i really wouldnt hold out any hope with pc world--but personally i would try to straighten the pins first

Hi
What Motherboard and how much did it cost?

I really hope the i5 has not been damaged by being clamped down upside down

There are several good UK online retailers better than PC world on line

I usually use ebuyer.com

The advantage of PC world (in UK) is they have a lot of retail stores so you can see what you are buying when buying complete desktop or laptops or TVs or mobile phones etc. they often share premises with Currys who sell domestic electrical appliances and are part of the same group of companies

Regards
Mike Barnes

Elf_Knight

Honorable
Nov 9, 2013
Also don't worry cause I found out by calling PC World that I can't get a new one so I will take it to a shop and see how much it costs to get it fixed. Otherwise I will just get a new one or try to fix it myself.

yeah didnt expect pc world to help

try it yourself or look for a small pc shop--get a quote from them first and ask if its no fix no fee