Question Repairing computer, no longer boots, CPU fan spins for a second then stops

Jun 3, 2020
Hello,

I'm adding some parts to an older PC for someone,
its an old HP pro MT 3000, it had 2gb of ram and an e5700 cpu.

I popped 8gb of ram into it and booted it to see if it was compatible with the 8gb ddr3 kit I had on hand. It booted normally, everything worked fine. I came back 3 days later with an ssd in hand, started hooking everything up and then tried to boot and it won't boot now, just a groaning noise and a cpu fan spin for half a second.

Now I started to do diagnostics, first thing I checked was the CPU, turns out, the person who serviced it before me (I was told it was serviced a week before) cleaned the thermal paste and then didn't put anymore on so my immediate thought was the CPU was burnt out.
I also attempted a power cycle with no cpu and ram but that yielded the same half spin result.

I then tested with other PSU's and no such luck, the same thing with the 3 different PSU's I tested.

I'm really hoping its just a burnt CPU as I ordered one (since e5700's are very cheap) to test but I am worried that the MOBO has burnt out.

Can anyone provide some insight on this?

Jun 3, 2020
Is this your systems ?
https://support.hp.com/us-en/product/hp-pro-3000-microtower-pc/4047650/document/c01926425

Have you try boot using old RAM ? Can you see the details specs of the old and new RAM ?
Hard to find out the issue without knowing the component details.

It's the components from that in a different case (an australian variant)
I have tried with the original ram which was Elpida HP 10600u, 1333mhz.
The newer ram was corsair xms3, 1600mhz.

As it booted before with both I do not believe the ram is the issue (this ram has also been used in other systems with no problem)

Jun 3, 2020
Just to add to this, other things I've tested as of now;
CMOS battery, no dice with multiple different batteries incase brand was an issue
Different ram, again no dice
Different SATA cables, I thought this one was going to work as the fan spun up for longer but still nothing