[SOLVED] Repairing Disc Errors This May Take Over an Hour to Complete?

Hexa Fox

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2013
Hey guys,

I have been having trouble with a computer and rode it out until I have finally gotten this above error. So I have had a gut feeling that my issues have had to do with this ADATA 500GB SSD for some time now. I still do not even know if this is the case. So after leaving the computer alone for several hours I got the message that "Windows cannot repair your PC" or something along those lines. I have tried cleaning the connections of the SSD and restarting the computer several times. If anyone has any advice for this I would very much like to hear it.

So I will keep this short, please correct me or give me a better solution if you have been in my position before. So what I plan to do is get another SSD, along with a docking station and then see if the drive might clone over to the healthy drive. Get the content I want off it. Then erase it again. I have some data on the drive I would like to save if it is not completely shot so I am all ears if you guys have any advice. If worse comes to worse I will just use my product key that I own to reinstall Windows onto the new SSD and be done with it. I appreciate any feedback in advance.

Solution
So that was an off topic exchange. He is talking about linking your license to your Microsoft account so when I logged in I could have just selected the license when I first booted Windows 10. It could have saved me a lot of time. At least, I think that is what he is talking about. I have a Dell laptop that forced me to sync the license with a Microsoft account. I got really lucky in that regard too because Dell released one of their own updates that bricked thousands of these laptops and the only way to save them was to freshly install Windows using the linked license.

So do I have any other options for accessing the drive other than fully formatting it? For instance, when clicking through the permissions section could I...
Hey guys,

I have been having trouble with a computer and rode it out until I have finally gotten this above error. So I have had a gut feeling that my issues have had to do with this ADATA 500GB SSD for some time now. I still do not even know if this is the case. So after leaving the computer alone for several hours I got the message that "Windows cannot repair your PC" or something along those lines. I have tried cleaning the connections of the SSD and restarting the computer several times. If anyone has any advice for this I would very much like to hear it.

So I will keep this short, please correct me or give me a better solution if you have been in my position before. So what I plan to do is get another SSD, along with a docking station and then see if the drive might clone over to the healthy drive. Get the content I want off it. Then erase it again. I have some data on the drive I would like to save if it is not completely shot so I am all ears if you guys have any advice. If worse comes to worse I will just use my product key that I own to reinstall Windows onto the new SSD and be done with it. I appreciate any feedback in advance.
"Windows cannot repair your PC" does not necessarily mean a bad drive, most probably just some corrupted windows system files. Drive itself has to be checked for health. As you can't BOOT from it, you have to do it from another source with appropriate program. So your data is quite possibly safe just don't try to reinstall windows on it
If you use another SSD to install windows on I would suggest you temporarily disable Adata until windows are installed.. Than you can enable it and run checks on it Backup/cloning programs usually refuse to do it if either of disks are faulty but just corrupted system files are not a problem.

Reactions: Hexa Fox

Hexa Fox

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2013
"Windows cannot repair your PC" does not necessarily mean a bad drive, most probably just some corrupted windows system files. Drive itself has to be checked for health. As you can't BOOT from it, you have to do it from another source with appropriate program. So your data is quite possibly safe just don't try to reinstall windows on it
If you use another SSD to install windows on I would suggest you temporarily disable Adata until windows are installed.. Than you can enable it and run checks on it Backup/cloning programs usually refuse to do it if either of disks are faulty but just corrupted system files are not a problem.

Thanks for the response Mike. When I originally had the issues I spoke about I did use Crystal Disc to check my drives for problems and want to say it said they were healthy. I have posted here about problems with this PC before and have never been able to figure it out. I am hoping this is my issue.

Anyway I just bought a new SSD and a cheap docking station off Amazon. Sorry for the confusion but can you walk me through what you are saying? So install fresh Windows on the new drive coming and then maybe see if I can recover my data from the ADATA drive from the dock or something? If the drive checks out and I can recover the data I want from it I am fine formatting it and using it for another device.

Like I was saying, I have been having issue with this computer for a long time. It is one I built. It has like 16GB of RAM a 9000 series AMD FX processor and a nice graphics card. It is all outdated hardware but I mostly only use the computer for surfing the web. If I have too many tabs open the computer can just freeze for a straight ten minutes sometimes. It is especially bad if we lose power or something and I am trying to reopen a few dozen tabs at once. Something my other computers never struggle with at all. Either way I want to get it figured out. If I still have the same problem after the fresh drive then I will be able to rule that out at least.

Thanks for the response Mike. When I originally had the issues I spoke about I did use Crystal Disc to check my drives for problems and want to say it said they were healthy. I have posted here about problems with this PC before and have never been able to figure it out. I am hoping this is my issue.

Anyway I just bought a new SSD and a cheap docking station off Amazon. Sorry for the confusion but can you walk me through what you are saying? So install fresh Windows on the new drive coming and then maybe see if I can recover my data from the ADATA drive from the dock or something? If the drive checks out and I can recover the data I want from it I am fine formatting it and using it for another device.

Like I was saying, I have been having issue with this computer for a long time. It is one I built. It has like 16GB of RAM a 9000 series AMD FX processor and a nice graphics card. It is all outdated hardware but I mostly only use the computer for surfing the web. If I have too many tabs open the computer can just freeze for a straight ten minutes sometimes. It is especially bad if we lose power or something and I am trying to reopen a few dozen tabs at once. Something my other computers never struggle with at all. Either way I want to get it figured out. If I still have the same problem after the fresh drive then I will be able to rule that out at least.
I must surmise that it's a desktop PC ?
You don't need no docks for this operation. There mus tbe at least 5 more SATA connectors on the motherboard.. All you need is a SATA data cable and BOOTble USB stick with windows installation files.
For now, just connect new SSD instead of old one and install windows on it. After assuring Windows are working you can connect old SSD to another SATA port and power from PSU and you should be able to see all that's on old SSD and copy all files you want from it to new disk. From then on you can use old SSD as secondary, maybe even clean it to recover more space.

Hexa Fox

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2013
I must surmise that it's a desktop PC ?
You don't need no docks for this operation. There mus tbe at least 5 more SATA connectors on the motherboard.. All you need is a SATA data cable and BOOTble USB stick with windows installation files.
For now, just connect new SSD instead of old one and install windows on it. After assuring Windows are working you can connect old SSD to another SATA port and power from PSU and you should be able to see all that's on old SSD and copy all files you want from it to new disk. From then on you can use old SSD as secondary, maybe even clean it to recover more space.

Hey so I ran into an issue. I finally got Windows up and running. The license I have is for Windows 8 and they just discontinued it. You can get a free upgrade but it was a headache. Anyway I connected the old drive into the dock I bought and plugged it into the computer to try and transfer some stuff. So it is saying that I do not have permission to access it. I followed a couple other guides to grant my computer access to it but it does not work at all. I found the name of my PC and granted it access but it still says I do not have permission. Windows garbage is pretty frustrating to say the least.

Any ideas?

USAFRet

Titan
Hey so I ran into an issue. I finally got Windows up and running. The license I have is for Windows 8 and they just discontinued it. You can get a free upgrade but it was a headache. Anyway I connected the old drive into the dock I bought and plugged it into the computer to try and transfer some stuff. So it is saying that I do not have permission to access it. I followed a couple other guides to grant my computer access to it but it does not work at all. I found the name of my PC and granted it access but it still says I do not have permission. Windows garbage is pretty frustrating to say the least.

Any ideas?
A valid Windows 8 license will fully activate a fresh Win 10 install.

Connecting your old drive as a secondary and having permission issues is absolutely normal and expected.
Those Libraries and the files within are linked to a whole different user account.
TakeOwnership is your friend.

Hexa Fox

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2013
A valid Windows 8 license will fully activate a fresh Win 10 install.

Connecting your old drive as a secondary and having permission issues is absolutely normal and expected.
Those Libraries and the files within are linked to a whole different user account.
TakeOwnership is your friend.

Yeah but what made it complicated is I used to be able to install Windows 8 onto the computer and immediately upgrade to Windows 10. This time around I had to download the Windows 10 ISO onto a USB drive and download it directly onto the computer. No big deal I guess. I was happy to see my old license still works. I think I can even upgrade to Windows 11 and been thinking about it but that is for another time.

"Take Ownership"? I have no clue what that is. I will Google it now. Because granting permission to this computer through the security tab has been a fail.

USAFRet

Titan
Yeah but what made it complicated is I used to be able to install Windows 8 onto the computer and immediately upgrade to Windows 10. This time around I had to download the Windows 10 ISO onto a USB drive and download it directly onto the computer. No big deal I guess. I was happy to see my old license still works. I think I can even upgrade to Windows 11 and been thinking about it but that is for another time.

"Take Ownership"? I have no clue what that is. I will Google it now. Because granting permission to this computer through the security tab has been a fail.
A Win 10 that was fully activated, after being upgraded from a Win 7/8/8.1....did not need that previous install at all.
A fresh Win 10 on its own would have worked.

Win 11 is a whole different thing, which involves major hardware changes.
But given compatible hardware, that same license would work for 11.

Hexa Fox

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2013
A Win 10 that was fully activated, after being upgraded from a Win 7/8/8.1....did not need that previous install at all.
A fresh Win 10 on its own would have worked.

Win 11 is a whole different thing, which involves major hardware changes.
But given compatible hardware, that same license would work for 11.

Okay so Take Ownership is basically what I researched before. It does not work for me on this drive. When I follow the directions to the point where it comes up with "errors" and gives you the option to continue it never makes it. I literally sat here for a whole hour clicking my mouse on continue. I could see that the files were changing names sometimes but I literally must have clicked continue several thousand times.

USAFRet

Titan
Okay so Take Ownership is basically what I researched before. It does not work for me on this drive. When I follow the directions to the point where it comes up with "errors" and gives you the option to continue it never makes it. I literally sat here for a whole hour clicking my mouse on continue. I could see that the files were changing names sometimes but I literally must have clicked continue several thousand times.
If the drive or its contents were faulty before, TakeOwnership won't fix that.

But, if it is a simple permission issue, possibly you're doing something wrong.

Hexa Fox

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2013
If the drive or its contents were faulty before, TakeOwnership won't fix that.

But, if it is a simple permission issue, possibly you're doing something wrong.

I don't think I am doing anything wrong but I could be. The directions are pretty straightforward. Having that said, what I cannot get past is the part where errors pop up and the directions are to keep just hitting continue.

Anyway I was also thinking this could be because the drive is faulty. I have never had to do this with a drive before. I have taken out old drives from computers before and hooked them up to new computers to get their contents and extra storage space and I have never had to change permissions on them. If I install it directly into the computer rather than in the dock does it change how permissions work?

USAFRet

Titan
I don't think I am doing anything wrong but I could be. The directions are pretty straightforward. Having that said, what I cannot get past is the part where errors pop up and the directions are to keep just hitting continue.

Anyway I was also thinking this could be because the drive is faulty. I have never had to do this with a drive before. I have taken out old drives from computers before and hooked them up to new computers to get their contents and extra storage space and I have never had to change permissions on them. If I install it directly into the computer rather than in the dock does it change how permissions work?
Accessing the contents depends on where, exactly, that data is.
If in the Libraries (Documents/Music/Photo/Video) under the old user, permissions issues abound.

If just data in non-Library folders, no problem at all.

Hexa Fox

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2013
Accessing the contents depends on where, exactly, that data is.
If in the Libraries (Documents/Music/Photo/Video) under the old user, permissions issues abound.

If just data in non-Library folders, no problem at all.

Thanks for the responses. I cannot access the folder at all. It does seem weird. Because before there was no bar below it to show me the available space. However, after messing around with the permissions it appears now and lets me open it. There is only one folder called "Windows" and I cannot access it at all. It just simply tells me I do not have permission.

Much of problems with activation and licensing could have been avoided if you had MS account and sign in with it. It would have activated any eligible windows edition from 7 to 11 as soon as you connect to internet even on different HW. . Also solves many problems with permissions etc. Don't know why people miss on that and opportunity it offers.
I had same one since first days of internet in form of Hotmail.com which I also use as one of most secure e-mail accounts.

USAFRet

Titan
Much of problems with activation and licensing could have been avoided if you had MS account and sign in with it. It would have activated any eligible windows edition from 7 to 11 as soon as you connect to internet even on different HW. . Also solves many problems with permissions etc. Don't know why people miss on that and opportunity it offers.
I had same one since first days of internet in form of Hotmail.com which I also use as one of most secure e-mail accounts.
Right.
And my "microsoft account" isn't even MS.
It is a rarely used gmail account...lol

Hexa Fox

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2013

Yeah so I did sign in with my Microsoft account. I actually use outlook as my default. However, I think my problem may be linking the licenses. I think I ended up declining to do that. Anyway you may be missing what I was saying too. Because I have had to fresh install Windows before on this PC. Just before it was fine to install Windows 8.1 because you could just go online and accept the free upgrade to Windows 10. Then restart your computer several times to get updates. Then boom done simple enough for me. Having that said, my trouble this time around is because they cut off support for Windows 8.1 last month. So I think that is the reason the internet was not working properly among other stuff. I tried to force an update through the settings and got nothing but errors.

I appreciate your guys help. So if you guys needed to access this SSD before formatting it do you have other options in mind? It honestly seems like I will never make it past the errors screen when granting permissions. I heard people say be patient but I really was clicking "continue" one those errors while watching a show. I must have clicked it thousands of times. I thought about downloading Tiny Task or something and recording me clicking it as fast and I could and see what I end up with lol.

USAFRet

Titan
Yeah so I did sign in with my Microsoft account. I actually use outlook as my default. However, I think my problem may be linking the licenses. I think I ended up declining to do that. Anyway you may be missing what I was saying too. Because I have had to fresh install Windows before on this PC. Just before it was fine to install Windows 8.1 because you could just go online and accept the free upgrade to Windows 10. Then restart your computer several times to get updates. Then boom done simple enough for me. Having that said, my trouble this time around is because they cut off support for Windows 8.1 last month. So I think that is the reason the internet was not working properly among other stuff. I tried to force an update through the settings and got nothing but errors.

I appreciate your guys help. So if you guys needed to access this SSD before formatting it do you have other options in mind? It honestly seems like I will never make it past the errors screen when granting permissions. I heard people say be patient but I really was clicking "continue" one those errors while watching a show. I must have clicked it thousands of times. I thought about downloading Tiny Task or something and recording me clicking it as fast and I could and see what I end up with lol.
Licensing and Operation are two completely different things.

New hardware often involves a full wipe and reinstall of the OS, to give full functionality.

This has nothing to do with whether it is licensed/activated or not.

Hexa Fox

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2013
Licensing and Operation are two completely different things.

New hardware often involves a full wipe and reinstall of the OS, to give full functionality.

This has nothing to do with whether it is licensed/activated or not.

So that was an off topic exchange. He is talking about linking your license to your Microsoft account so when I logged in I could have just selected the license when I first booted Windows 10. It could have saved me a lot of time. At least, I think that is what he is talking about. I have a Dell laptop that forced me to sync the license with a Microsoft account. I got really lucky in that regard too because Dell released one of their own updates that bricked thousands of these laptops and the only way to save them was to freshly install Windows using the linked license.

So do I have any other options for accessing the drive other than fully formatting it? For instance, when clicking through the permissions section could I eventually get through it and access the drive? Maybe the tutorials I am watching are wrong as well. I have seen a couple of them do it slightly different ways and tried them but still run into the same issue.

USAFRet

Titan

So do I have any other options for accessing the drive other than fully formatting it? For instance, when clicking through the permissions section could I eventually get through it and access the drive? Maybe the tutorials I am watching are wrong as well. I have seen a couple of them do it slightly different ways and tried them but still run into the same issue.
As mentioned above, TakeOwnership.

This may end up being a REAL pain (each file one by one), but things that are linked to the old user in the old OS are 'owned' by that old user.

Solution

Hexa Fox

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2013
As mentioned above, TakeOwnership.

This may end up being a REAL pain (each file one by one), but things that are linked to the old user in the old OS are 'owned' by that old user.
Another dumb question if I may? If I do everything correctly, then click continue through all the files does this guarantee that I will be able to access the old drive afterwards or only give me a chance?

USAFRet

Titan
Another dumb question if I may? If I do everything correctly, then click continue through all the files does this guarantee that I will be able to access the old drive afterwards or only give me a chance?
Accessing the drive is different than accessing any files that may be permission locked to the old user.

Ideally, you want to copy those files out to some other location.
Don't keep trying to use that old drive and /Users/ folder tree.

Copy those files to elsewhere, then wipe ALL partitions from that old OS drive.
Reformat, and use as desired.

Hexa Fox

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2013
It was difficult to select a best answer as you both were helpful but if anyone else comes around with this question this will probably be the best short answer for them. I do appreciate the help. When I have some extra time I plan to use Tiny Task to click through those errors and see if it can get through it.

Hexa Fox

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2013
I was finally able to grant permission to this drive. It looks like I did it all for nothing too. Upon accessing the Windows folder there is hardly anything on it at all. It looks like it was definitely corrupted somehow. It looks like a near complete loss of data. When I first accessed the drive it told me the recycling bin contents were corrupted and asked if I wanted to delete them and I said yes. Oh well.