[SOLVED] Repairing laptop screen or salvaging for parts?

Sep 7, 2019
I posted a similar thread on the Linustechtips forums without getting any response, so I'll post the same thread here in the hope that I can get some answers here.

I have got a broken Lenovo Yoga 710-14 80V4006LMX. The problem is that it got stepped on, and now the screen is cracked all over the place. On top of that it's probably had water in it, so who knows what kind of havoc that has wrecked.

When I power on the laptop only about 60 % of the screen shows any discernable picture. Half the time it says it can't detect any boot media, the other half it goes into windows repair and gives me a bunch of options, though I can't really tell what they are because of the cracked screen.

So now the question is whether there is a way to repair the screen, and if it's worth it, since other parts might be broken? I have no experience building laptops, but have some building desktop computers. So the second option would be to open it up and salvage parts out of it, to sell them or (mainly) to upgrade a desktop pc I have. My thoughts right now is that it's probably not worth the risks of trying to repair it, as I'd have to buy a new screen and then what if something's still broken inside of it? So I'm leaning towards salvaging parts, though I'm not 100 % sure which parts would be worth anything or compatible with my desktop PC.

The exact specifications for this laptop was hard to find, but I found a list here on this Swedish website translated with google translate. On the other hand the desktop specifications on are:
  • CPU: Intel Core i5 3550 3,3Ghz
  • CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO CPU cooler AMD/Intel
  • Memory: Corsair 8GB (2x4096MB) CL 9 VENGEANCE 1600Mhz LP
  • Motherboard: MK Asus P8Z77-V LX
  • Power supply: Corsair Gaming Series 600W 80+
My thoughts about the laptop parts:
  • Memory: Since it is DDR4 and the motherboard supports DDR3 the only useful thing I can do with it is selling them. Can I tell it's working properly from the fact that the computer isn't crashing immediately and can go into repair mode? I have no way of testing it in another computer as I don't have any SO-DIMM to DIMM adapter, or any other laptop. Also, I found no specifications for the frequency of the memory, any ideas what it might be or how to find out?
  • SSD: It's probably comaptible with my motherboard. Though, since the laptop can't detect a boot drive is it likely it's broken?
  • Graphics card: The desktop lacks one so any graphics card would be better than none. The specifications states it's a GeForce 940MX, but I have no idea what to expect, is it a part of the laptop motherboard or a separate part? Is there any adapter that can make it fit onto the desktop motherboard? Would it be worth it?
  • CPU: The specifications says it's an Intel Core i7 7500U at 2.7 GHz, but I remember something about it having a boost clock up to 3.5 GHz. So maybe the desktop cooler is good enough to to make it worth switching out the CPU? Would it even fit in the motherboard socket?
Any help or ideas are appreciated!

Solution
I'd have recovered any useable components. Those are:
  • RAM
  • HDD / SSD
GPU of laptops is often soldered onto the mainboard and is therefore not possible to re-use.

CPU may sit in a socket, and if so it can be replaced in a similar laptop.

Neither CPU or GPU can be re-used in a desktop.
I'd have recovered any useable components. Those are:
  • RAM
  • HDD / SSD
GPU of laptops is often soldered onto the mainboard and is therefore not possible to re-use.

CPU may sit in a socket, and if so it can be replaced in a similar laptop.

Neither CPU or GPU can be re-used in a desktop.

Solution