byshameless

Honorable
Feb 4, 2016
I had to repair (resolder individual wires) due to a broken hinge that severed the antenna cables that go from the WLAN card to the antennas. The broken hinge severing the wires resulted in poor/no connectivity. I wanted to test my repair using a voltmeter on the continuity setting.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

When touching the ends of individual wires/antennas I got the following results:

WHITE wire chip side to WHITE Antenna(WLAN MAIN): 0 and sound (which i think means continuity.)

BLACK wire chip side to BLACK Antenna(WLAN AUX): 0 and sound (which i think means continuity.)

WHITE wire chip side to BLACK Antenna(WLAN AUX): 35 and sound (which i think means continuity.) not sure if this is good? attached image below

BLACK wire chip side to WHITE Antenna(WLAN AUX): wide range in 100s [fluctuated a lot between 100-700] and sound (which i think means continuity.) not sure if this is good?

Last tests I did were:

WHITE wire chip side to BLACK wire chip side: 28 and sound (which i think means continuity.) not sure if this is good?

WHITE Antenna to BLACK antenna: 12 and sound (which i think means continuity.) not sure if this is good?

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

When I did the repair I soldered the cables separately and wrapped each wire in electrical tape, then taped those so they are grouped but still individually "insulated". I am worried to put my laptop back together and the repair ends up being a failure. Somebody please help me :/

Pictures:
"Simple diagram for reference" https://drive.google.com/file/d/15CAb1bLqm9CsPhcxEImqvLXo9wW8s5W8/view?usp=sharing
"WHITE wire chip side to BLACK Antenna(WLAN AUX)" https://drive.google.com/file/d/1ZKeCY1k2noFPxS_1KBF2lcvLf9MGm25t/view?usp=sharing

Hope this isn't confusing, sorry in advance.

I can do more tests or take more pictures, so I can confirm that my repair was successful. Any guidance is appreciated.

Laptop: Dell Inspiron 15 7559
WLAN Card: Intel Dual Band Wireless-AC 3165 (Model: 3165NGW)

Solution
@vov4ik_il

Do you think it's gonna short if I use this resoldered cable considering the continuity tests above?

Also, will any antenna cables work, or will I need to find one that is made specifically for the Intel Dual Band Wireless-AC 3165? Or can I use one with the same type of connectors? (I will keep minimum length in mind)
Coaxial cables (unlike regular ones) are designed to have specific RF handling properties and significantly degrade with every junction you would make. The ones I linked are suitable for your application. It is not the adapter make and model, but power, impedance, and frequency that defines what cable you would need.

byshameless

Honorable
Feb 4, 2016
The antenna wiring is normally using coaxial cables which suffer and degrade from bending and resoldering. I would invest 10$ and buy a whole new set instead.

@vov4ik_il

Do you think it's gonna short if I use this resoldered cable considering the continuity tests above?

Also, will any antenna cables work, or will I need to find one that is made specifically for the Intel Dual Band Wireless-AC 3165? Or can I use one with the same type of connectors? (I will keep minimum length in mind)

@vov4ik_il

Coaxial cables (unlike regular ones) are designed to have specific RF handling properties and significantly degrade with every junction you would make. The ones I linked are suitable for your application. It is not the adapter make and model, but power, impedance, and frequency that defines what cable you would need.

Solution