Repalcement for Voodoo Banshee card

G

My other system has an AGP Voodoo Banshee card. I'd like to get a faster 3D card for it. The system is a Gateway P2 400. I've been looking at GeForce2 MX cards but I'm not sure if they're compatible.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
The MX is not much of an improvement over the Voodoo Banshee. For REAL performance, I suggest the Radeon LE, available for around $70 on Pricewatch. The TVO version cost a bit more.

Cast not thine pearls before the swine

G

the MX or the radeon LE (reg hack and overclocked) would be a good choice because if any games have t&l which most coming out now do then it will take less depndance off of your 400mhz cpu.

ksoth

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Dude what are you talking about? GeForce2 MX is a HUGE improvement over a Voodoo Banshee. GeForce2 MX will probably get framerates 2-3 times greater than the Banshee at high res. I sure know that when I upgraded my Banshee to a TNT2 I saw about 50% increase, and when I updated my TNT2 to GeForce 256 I saw another 50%, and a GeForce 2 MX performs about the same as a GeForce 256. Go with a GeForce 2 MX or a Radeon LE, they'll both be good an upgrade.

"Trying is the first step towards failure."

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
I had a banshee. I had a TNT2. I have an MX on the shelf. Banshee performed better in GLIDE than the TNT2 did in D3D. So if your games use both Glide and D3D, the Banshee will win. I was so dissapointed in the performance of the MX I gave up on it. But it probably is faster than a Banshee, I never compared them directly. At any rate, even if the MX is better in D3D than a Banshee is in Glide, the Radeom LE puts the MX to shame. Oh, I own one of those also, and I did compare the LE to the MX directly, where it performed over 20% better. Then I did the registry haks and it did even better still.

Cast not thine pearls before the swine

TRENDING THREADS