repartitioning without data loss

SammyBoy

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2001
Okay, I have a 40GB harddrive right now, barely full. I run Win98SE, and I have it split into a 3GB system drive (C:), a 33GB application drive (D:), and a 2GB music drive (E:). My question is this: since I have only 5GB of D: in use, how easy would it be to take a few GB from there and put it onto my E:, so that I have more room there, without destroying data? I know all about fdisk, but I don't think that it can help me out here, since it destroys data. I have a burner, so I can store the mp3s pretty easily, but the D: would be a little harder. Suggestions and ideas welcome. BTW, funds are low (as they are for almost all college students), so purchasing Partition Magic is a little tough, and I know no one who owns a copy.

-SammyBoy

Lars_Coleman

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2001
You would actually need a third party program like partition magic. There aren't any programs that come with the Windows operating system that will do what you are looking to do ...

<font color=red>BIOS updates do wonders ....</font color=red>

HonestJhon

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2001
try looking for it in morpheus...
maybe you can find it there...
*this does not reflect the values of this user in any way, nor does this user promote the illegal distribution of illegal copies of illegal material......*ehembullsh#tehem*

-DAvid

-Live, Learn, then build your own computer!-

Spdy_Gonzales

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2001
Why do you have to increase the size of the E drive? If you need more room for music files why don't you just create a new sub-directory on the D drive for your music files and put all your music files there? In other words, why are you fixated on the idea of increasing the size of the E drive when you can just as well use the D drive for all your music files. I don't think your hard drive cares whether you put your program files and data files and music files on the same drive.

:smile: <font color=green>I wonder...what is the speed of gravity!</font color=green> :smile:

SammyBoy

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2001
Probably cause I'm a control freak and I like to keep something of mine neat and organized, since my dorm room reflects that not at all. *sigh* That, and this way, I keep all my music seperate from the rest of the system (so if I want everything on WinAmp at once, I just click Add Dir E:). And if I need to do a reformat, I can just do C and D, without touching E, since there are no actual file assotiations with Windows. That's what partitioning is for anyway, to organize and customize your hard drive. And, to some extent, the OS cares (never mix system with app, if at all possible), and I think Windows needs all the help it can get to keep chugging along. That, and Norton SpeedDisk likes it too. I can put all the frequently accessed stuff at the front of each Drive. I need those nanoseconds, damn it!

-SammyBoy

Segregating his hard drive cause he can

G

As HonestJhon said, try Morpheus, I got both Partition Magic Pro 7.0 and Drive Image Pro 4.0 from there.

<font color=orange><A HREF="http://www.mindbuster.net" target="_new">http://www.mindbuster.net</A></font color=orange>